Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

anyone has a sound clip of detonation/knock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone has a sound clip of detonation/knock?

Im hearing something only when im stationary and try to move in 1st and sometimes in 2nd gear(after i change from 1st) and up to 2000rpm or so.I hear a toc-toc rythmic noise which i cannot understand where it comes and it becomes faster as revs build up,then fades away at around 2000-2500rpm.It usually happens when the car is already in operating temps and mostly when im about to go an uphill,small or big.On level plane it rarely does it.

Any thoughts??
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You're obsessed. Get some small stones. Place in a large tin can. Shake rapidly = pinging sound

Or imagine a mini-jackhammer or machine gun.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like a stuck lifter. I have on my 7A 20v that does that until it warms up.

But if your's does it when it's warm i'm not quite sure. Check your oil level.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Default If you have something against me please say so because this is getting a bit boring..

You have done this on S2forum once again,trying to make fun of something that you may appear to have more knowledge over than i do.Excuse me if im not so mechanically implied as you might be and also excuse me if i dont carry a large enough pocket to close my eyes on things that might be going wrong with the car that with much effort tried to rebuild to enjoy for as long as it lasts.Maybe you have 3spare engines or parts come by at any cost and you can afford to brake an engine every 50K miles.I dont have that luxury.

As for your comments,how would you like to be treated this way in case you go to a hospital with a red eye and blurred vision and an ophthalmologist burst in lafter after he realized that you have nothing serious,though with your limited knowledge in ophthalmology(which is my experteese) scared the crap out of you?Not so funny,hugh?Just remember that when you have a question about anything....Someone smarter than you or with more knowledge may treat you the same way
Or do you think that health and mechanics have nothing to do with each other?

In any case,as you are not helping,you are relieved from answering to any of my 'dumb' questions.

cheers
vasilis
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM

i thought of that,but being hot rules that out.As for oil level,it is full and no losses either
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Too funny. My answer about the stones in the tin can was 100% sincere. Really.

I was NOT making fun of you. Other than the "obsessed" part. None of us here worry about pinging other than to get software that doesn't create the problem. Maybe our fuel is so much better than yours, I don't know.

I (still) recommend that you get software that works with your available fuel. This is where a VMAP (variable MAP sensor) can help. You can turn it up or down depending on your fuel and therefore, limit boost and pinging.

I have nothing against you. Except your ears need cleaning (because you are not listening).
Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually what you describe, at least for 1st gear, sounds like a "galled" 1st gear (playing card in

the spokes of a bicycle).

"The noise began as a very faint tic, tic, tic noise - but just when beginning to move in 1st gear when the car was cold and when it was 20F or 25F degrees outside. Sort of like the noise you made as a kid by putting a playing card into the spokes of a bicycle, but not that loud. Since it was cold, of course the windows were rolled up."

In case you think I am making fun of you (never was), go to the link below:<ul><li><a href="http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind1.html">http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind1.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Im sorry that i cannot go back and forth to germany OR pay the tuner to come to greece to fine tune

the car,because im reluctant to have the car mapped here in greece by someone that will only know how to do it with electronic/manual boost controller,while in germany they tune it with the N75valve on.AND in case there is something wrong and i do need a remap,then i must be perfectly sure that there is a problem with the engine to change the remap.See?Hence the questions.

There is nothing wrong with the tuning of the car.Even if this was a knock which i doubt now thanks to others which did oblige to help,it wouldnt create a problem as it is in low revs.

I will keep only the link to the 1st gear failure although i have a CRB transmittion,i have only started the car with revs from 1st gear 2 times and i never hammer the first gear.

In all,you still demonstrate an attitude that im sure you would dislike if the situations were reversed.Since it is very likely for that to happen to you by someone else,as life is like that,just remember that when someone does it to you.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're welcome for the transmission information.I guess you have something new to worry about. Seems

like worrying keeps you happy and since you have an S-car (ersatz RS2), and you will have lots to worry about, you will be a very happy man.

(Ya gotta learn to not stress out about your car so much. If you can't stop, sell it and buy a Yaris.)
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM

Default i would like to thank you for your suggestions!What goes around,comes around my friend

you with all the mechanical knowledge and the obviously huge accounts may go about without worrying about your S car.When i will be able to earn as much as you do,i may be as ignorant and arrogant as you are.Until then,i will just make sure everything works well in a 15year old car as i cant afford a second one,at this time.

Quick Reply: anyone has a sound clip of detonation/knock?