Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Audi dealers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi dealers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timing belt changed about 12k miles ago
just recently w/cold weather I encounterd a squealing noise from the engine, diagnosed as a failing pully bearing (idler pully), and also found a fan pully to be going bad,
when Audi dealer put timing belt and accessories(fan)back on they tightend the fan bolt so tight that it will not come off, tools are being broken trying to remove this
I'm at an idependant mechanic now, good place
should Audi have checked the pullys when doing the service?
my mechanic says he does'nt think they even replaced the belt, but is gonna take a closer look, what do I do.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Only one way to know for sure:

If you want something done right,<ul><li><a href="http://www.urs4.com/technical/repair/timing_belt/timing_belt.html">DIY</a></li></ul>
Old 12-11-2003, 03:05 PM

Default I agree. After many frustrating experiences where things were not done right or broken,

I do all my own work.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:17 PM

Default Re: I agree. After many frustrating experiences where things were not done right or broken,

I agree totally. I have actually had Audi dealers argue with me, that Audi did not make a S4 in 1993!! My response was "I hope they did, because there is one in my driveway"! Do as much as you can by yourself. It is worth the time, tool rental, trial-and-error, whatever...versus having to pay $65 per hour for some stoner who is making $12.75 to work on your prized 5 cylinder beast.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Audi dealers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can feel your pain,but to make a blanket statement that all Audi dealers suck is wrong.Yes, just like any business there are some that are incompetent or immoral,and it is up to the comsumer to find a place of business that he trusts. I happen to be a technician at a reputable Audi dealer that is not a "stoner" waiting to screw up your car. The problem at most Audi and VW dealers right now is a shortage of trained/qualified techs. I happen to own a 93 S4 and have serviced alot of them with satisfied owners when they left.When going to a dealer you need to ask about the experience and training of the tech working on your car,plus ask to meet him to discuss your car.Its up to you to communicate to the dealership about your concerns.It seems alot of the people in the forum have bad p/r about dealers, calling them "stealerships" ect.....but if you only knew what it takes and costs to run a dealership maybe then you could understand why we charge higher prices than independants,which I have worked at also.When going to a dealer for a URS4 you should try and get a tech that has at least 7-10 years at the dealer ,which was the "heyday" for URs. The younger guys don't know that much about the URs and probably never had any training or much experieince with them. So,before saying "Audi dealers suck", think about the big picture and not just the dealer you had your experience with.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You definitely need to find a qualified mechanic who has done work on the five cylinder S4. Either..

at a dealership or at an independent. In the five years that I have had my S4, it only went to the dealer once - for the "KY" fuel line replacement (BEFORE there was an official recall). I was not happy. They screwed up the steering (the solution at that time was totally new fuel lines and the steering rack had to be removed). I was p*ssed. Took two tries to get things back to where they were before they touched the car. They had their chance and they blew it.

I go to a Swiss German guy who has the right mix of pickiness, knowledge and skill. He works on tricked out VW's, Audi's and Porsches. My kind of shop.

Dave F.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Xel

ok MOST Audi dealers SUCK :-)
Old 12-12-2003, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have an awesome mechanic...

the previous owner had the cars major service done at the dealer in Ann Arbor MI. and then other mainteance at Select Auto in Ann Arbor (good place). he felt that being a dealer they were qualified, i dont know. I'm just razzed cause my fan is on so tight we cant get it off, theres no way it could it be corrosion, it must be from dealer tech, I just wonder that if that if the fan was over torqed could everything else be too? so far that does not seem to be the case, waiting for mech. to call, I'm confidant he'll get it all done right, always does.

I think I needed a bearing for the idler pully, can you get just the bearing or is there a whole bracket that with it for $$$? is it the idler pully bearing that comes like that?
thanks guys,
Old 12-12-2003, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The idler pulley assembly is normally replaced with the timing belt. It would be nice if...

someone could figure out how to replace just the bearing but it could be both the shaft and the bearing that go. By the time you spent time searching out the bearing and a machine shop to do the work, you will be spending $$ and/or time, regardless. Hence, you just replace the whole thing, bracket and all, despite what seems like a waste.

Dave F.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: The idler pulley assembly is normally replaced with the timing belt. It would be nice if...

what pullys is the accessorie belt wrapped around? I think I'm mistaken about idler pully, I do not think they need to remove timing belt. it must be one of those other pully bearings, whole bracket any idea on prices, around $200-300?
thanks for input urs4boy3
Forrest

Quick Reply: Audi dealers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!