Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket?

I've got a 1988 80 Quattro with a 3B in it. My radiator busted on me a few months back. Luckily, I was able to keep coolant in it and not drive it until I got a new one.

The generic replacement radiator needed a bypass cap on the drain petcock on the bottom because the valve was not there and coolant could just flow right through. Anyway, that cap split and drained my coolant in traffic one day. It took me 3-5 minutes to get to someplace safe to pull over (I was in traffic on a bridge when it happened), without coolant. I replaced the cap and refilled the coolant, and hadn't had any leaks since then, but the engine has been slightly hard to start, and if started warm, would surge for a few seconds before settling to a mostly smooth idle.

Today, I noticed my heater go cold again and pulled over immediately. I turned on the radiator fan (via the A/C switch. A/C has been removed but still operates the fan) and it was blowing hot air. There was still coolant. I suspected it to be a thermostat problem until I got home and opened the bleed screw on the heater hose to see if there was air. There was a lot of it hissing out, followed by a bit of water. The coolant level in the reservior dropped and took 1.5 gallons to top back up. I also noticed an oily film on the water in the reservior.

Looks to me like I've got a warped head and leaking head gasket. I'm going to get a compression tester to check it out, but I wanted some opinions from you guys. Anything else it could be?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:17 PM

Default hehe...you said petcock

is selling the car an option? this is the sort of problem that raises all sorts of red flags in my mind...something you can either nail down and fix tomorrow, or something that you'll never quite fix and that'll keep bugging you until you sell it/it dies.

the second option, sadly, is more likely..as you've let a small problem progress to the point where it's starting to blow up other components.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Things shouldn't get much worse....

Hopefully, once this cooling system issue is taken care of, things will be okay. It's got a new waterpump, timing belt, valve cover gasket, thermostat, and several other things that have just been replaced. The car is too cool to sell. I'm in love with the thing. Brought it from the stock 80q to what it is now. At worst, it'll take me a while to fix. I can drive another car in the mean time. Sound like the head to you?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Unfortunately, it sounds like you are on the right track.

If your coolant loss is that slow, there is a chance that the head is ok, but it's unlikely. Prolly needs planing and new gasket.

If you find that it is the head gasket, don't wait; bearings don't like coolant.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:44 PM

Default you can always get another 80.

and it looks like most of your mods can be removed and reinstalled on your new car pretty easily.

it's your call...however given your half-assed repair history, who's to say you'll nail this problem once and for all?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The head gasket test...

...is pretty simple when you are loosing coolant. Air bubbles will be forced back out through the cooling system. If you notice none, remove the small hose from the top of the rad & imerse in the top of the expantion tank. (When cool, of course.) Start it up. Bubbles? Time for a shave & a gasket.

But I think you really need it.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default WTF? Where are you comming with this?

how is he going to put his mods on another 90?? The mod is the motor he put in the car. The car itself isn't the problem. You sound like you are talking out of your ***.

Replace the gasket and get the head checked. i believe, but i am not totally sure, but a metal S6 headgasket should fit. HTH
Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Default meh, i didn't pay attention to that part

in fact, i was wondering why he's posting here at all
Old 01-03-2005, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably because we know more than the 3B peoples.....

BigMouse is a cool guy - his car's pretty hellacious too when he's not meanduring off of British Columbian roads and into rocks.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for that vote of confidence... I think ;-)

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket?