Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Boost gauge in clock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost gauge in clock?

I know someone on here has done it, I read about it a while ago but can't find the thread anymore.
-If you have a boost gauge can you send me a link to what you got?
-And I'm not sure what to get, an exactly how you do it. if you pull the dash is it pretty easy to figure out?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nightmare.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Then I won't be putting it there.. Is it easy to put it on one of the vents? Or is that going to be a nightmare as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vents or A-pillar are easy(er). The Clock position is a nightmare because those three gauges in the right hand cluster are not three separate entities. They are three separate gauge faces on a single printed circuit board. To install a boost gauge instead of the clock, you'd have to find a reasonably close gauge (there is no perfect VDO grey-faced gauge) and then jumper all the printed circuit board connections around the 52 mm hole you are going to cut in the printed circuit board. And then the gauge might be too deep anyway.

As for gauges, the Autometer Phantom I, white faced edge lit, 30 In. Hg to 30 psi boost is close. I ran one for years and quite liked it. I recently switched to a Marshall 5411 silver faced gauge. It looks closer and is truely back lit (not edge lit like the Phantom). All good except it reads more vacuum and less boost than the Phantom, yet it still zeros every time. (???).

Autometer makes a single A-pillar pod for an Audi A4 that works in the UrS with a tiny amount of trimming.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost guages

Here are a few shots of guage installations. I like the Phantom or Marshall gage. Any
installation similar to these is fairly easy.

http://www.2bennett.com/body_audi_gauges.html#urs4s
Old 10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sounds like i have the same boost gauge setup as dave had.
autometer phantom 30-30, with a4 pod that i had to trim.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default C3 Audi 100/200 accessory gauges can be substituted

I'm working on this right now. The biggest problem with swapping out the clock for a gauge in a C4 is that the stock clock mounting and connection setup can't easily be converted to work with a gauge. However, the C3 100/200 accessory gauge panel in the IC has 3 gauges from the factory and fits almost perfectly in the C4 IC. At a minimum, I should be able to run 3 stock S-car gauges (Oil temp, oil pressure, volts) instead of having to pick between volts and oil pressure, but this approach will also simplify installing other gauges in the C4 IC.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is the boost guage in my S6. This is an aircraft part and reads in inches of mercury. With the engine at rest it reads barometric pressure, here 29.7 inches.

Eric 95 S6. (18 inch Avus, Big Reds, Eibach, chip, digital boost ga)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Next question. I don't know what i'm doing. I'm 16, it's my first car so someone help me out.
If I decide to go with the autometer phantom.. say this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIF93S
Does it have everything I need to instal it, and how the hell do I wire it through one of the vents?

Another question, on the top of the wastegate there is a little pin thing sticking out, looks like there should be some sort of hose that hooks up to it. Can anyone tell me if i'm missing something there? Or what goes there.. I don't know whats goin on there
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wait not that one. Just realised that went to 60 psi.
So if the face went to 30psi not 60, does that have everything I need?

Quick Reply: Boost gauge in clock?