Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Brake pedal wont budge

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal wont budge

Hey all,
I know this topic has been covered quite a bit before, but i still cant seem to determine the problem between a couple of options. Quick background, I was driving the car, parked it for an hour and started b ack up and the pedal wont budge. As a result, the braking is very minimal/non-existant. So im thinking its the brake booster. Also, i checked the PS level and that was extremely low, so i filled it up, however during turns there is still a lot of whining. So I know the PS pump is bad as well, since you can see it leaking. I changed the O ring a few years back, which seemed to solve hte problem temporarily, but here i am again. So i guesss my question is, could the brake stiffness be due to the PS pump, braker booster or both? Also, the brake light stays on and antilock off light remains on as well. I noticed if i keep the car parked for a little bit, the first few uses of the brake is much better while driving, but becomes stiff thereafter again. I cant drive the car like this, thats how bad the braking is. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also forgot to mention, just before parking i smelled burning, similar to burning a clutch. Howeveer, my brake was not impacted in those .5 miles i drove before parking. I just figured it was a car ahead of me, but it was extremely strong.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, could hte bomb have gone bad? Im not leaning towards it because the brake is stiff during and not during driving. Would the pedal be stiff during driving if the bomb had gone bad?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This might help:

Click here to learn more about how our power brake system works

Click here for some power steering and brake pump info
Old 07-31-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I went through that guide already. So i guess what im asking is where should i start first as it seems that the problem i am having could be caused by multiple things failing. I know for a fact that the PS steering is leaking, so should i start with that? However, I dont want to start with replacing that if it will not fix my braking problem bc that is of my main concern since i am getting ready to move and i just need to get the car to the new apartment and then ill start working on the other things that are failing.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The intent of reading that PS/PB post was a) so you would know for sure that the PS/PB pump is supposed to pressurize the power brake assist system, i.e. the pressure accumulator (the "bomb") and b) that there is a "bomb" test (did you miss the link to the test in that post?). To fix the problem, you need to make sure that nothing is leaking and that your bomb has not failed. I would start by fixing the leaking problem.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which i forgot to mention explicitly that i cant do the bomb test because bc even when the car has beeen sitting for the night and i pump the brake the next day when the car is off, its still rock hard. The first pump gives a little more leeway, but is still stiff. Which makes more sense now bc if the PS pump isnt pressurizing the bomb to begin with, then the pedal will remain stiff. I think i got it, thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Unfortunately your symptoms could be from a totally fubar'd pump or a totally fubar'd "bomb". Since you indicate that you have a pump leak (or a leak somewhere), then you should start with fixing the leak. If you fix the leak and then the bomb still won't take a charge, then you need to replace it.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
Unfortunately your symptoms could be from a totally fubar'd pump or a totally fubar'd "bomb". Since you indicate that you have a pump leak (or a leak somewhere), then you should start with fixing the leak. If you fix the leak and then the bomb still won't take a charge, then you need to replace it.
I assume your talking about hte PS pump and not brake pump? If i find the leaks for the PS pump and fix them, but the PS pump still makes noises while turning the wheel, is it safe to assume the pump is completely "fubard" and therefore should replace that before the bomb? I hope it doesnt come to tat cuz the PS pump is a lot of $$$
Old 08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You have missed the point (I think): The power steering pump IS the power brake pump (two separate channels in the same pump).

Fubar = f'cked up beyond all recognition. I term I believe developed during World War II.

You need local to you hands on help. At this point, you will be throwing money at the car, either the ps/pb pump or the bomb. Take your pick and start.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal wont budge