Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Completely dead, but good battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely dead, but good battery

Me again. Having replaced the ignition switch I figured I solved the problem. I only fixed the no start with power. Now the car has shut off several times and gone COMPLETELY dead. Nothing. It will sit over night, then starts right up. Most recently it will not restart and power hasn't returned. I have read a similar thread but it didn't have a definative answer. I plan on tracing the ground from the battery, then the positive to where ever it goes. Any thoughts? Thanks... Nick
Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Charge the battery, either by lifting the rear seat bottom (remove two Phillips head screws at the front lower part of the rear seat bottom) OR by attaching the Plus charge cable to the underhood + terminal on the edge of the cowel and the Neg charge cable to the engine lift hook, etc).

Once the battery is fully charged, try starting the engine again. Your symptoms could be cam position sensor on its way out OR a fuel pump that is on its way out OR your starter was damaged by the flakey ignition switch AND/OR you have a flakey window control module or after-run pump control module that is continually draining the battery.

Start with a charged battery and see what happens and then come back.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Battery is 2 months old, and 12.5 volts as of now. The car started right up, then drove 5 feet and completely dead. Started the next morning. She drove it to work. After, she left the parking lot and it did the same thing. Not a dim light in the car. Like the battery is completely out.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You might want to investigate the "213" load reduction relay under the driver's side knee bolster (under the steering wheel). Sounds like it might be flaky (sticking on) Try HERE for more info.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE> Fixed
Towed her home, made sure the battery was still charged. It was at 12.68. Traced the power cable forward, checking voltage every foot. Stayed at 12.6-7. No power anywhere under the dash. Ended up back at the positive cable. Black box off of cable. As soon as I touched the box, all the power came back on. Inside the box, which surrounded the cable, was a lug with a smaller guage cable bolted to it (stock?). All the power to the dash and the systems run from this. The cable was loose from the eyelet. Re crimped, and soldered. Bolted back together, and taped. Works perfectly. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nleusky
...No power anywhere under the dash. Ended up back at the positive cable. Black box off of cable. As soon as I touched the box, all the power came back on. Inside the box, which surrounded the cable, was a lug with a smaller guage cable bolted to it (stock?). All the power to the dash and the systems run from this. The cable was loose from the eyelet. Re crimped, and soldered. Bolted back together, and taped. Works perfectly. Thanks for your help!
Would that box be Items 8 and 9 in this diagram? (The red was to illustrate the direct cable from the battery to the starter)

Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I can see in the diagram, that appears to be the positive jump terminal on the passenger shock tower. This was about 4 inches off of the battery. It split from the box running across the back seat floor to the drivers side, I assume powering everything in the car. Next time I have the car I will take and post a pic. Maybe this thread can help someone else in the future... I think I will need to order a Bentley Manual if we keep this car.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nleusky
... This was about 4 inches off of the battery. It split from the box running across the back seat floor to the drivers side, I assume powering everything in the car.
Can you point to it in this photo?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hard to see from this angle, but about 5 inches off of the positive, which is the terminal closest to the door, right where the wires straighten out running toward the drivers side. Next to the green tape on the floor pan under the seat.