Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

engine undertray removal and oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine undertray removal and oil change

this past february i found a pristine and unmolested '95 S6 with 35k on the clock. i would like to start doing some of the maintenace on the car but am not mechanically inclined. can someone give me a blow-by-blow description of how the engine undertray is removed. any tricks to changing the oil? special greetings to quat2nv.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:31 PM

Default Re: engine undertray removal and oil change

Here goes...
There are 3 screws visible under the undertray. Unscrew these...probably the hardest part of taking it off. Then there are some plastic fasteners around the edges...just feel around to where it isn't hanging down and you'll figure it out. There's an oil drain plug w/gasket. Do not lose this. Un plug it. Take the filter off either with a tool or shove a screwdriver through it like you're OJ Simpson and turn it that way. They have a way of seizing up. Drain the oil. Torque the filter and plug to (I want to say) 22 pounds. Fillerup and hope nothing drips. Never reuse gaskets. Dispose of oil in neighbors yard.
You should be able to do this job without a jack if you're at the stock ride height.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: engine undertray removal and oil change

My memory is telling me that there are 5 fasteners on the bottom, and two in each wheel well. The drain plugs sometimes seize. On the first change I rounded mine off with a 12-point wrench. I now use a 6-pointer. Getting the undertray back on is close to impossible if the car isn't raised up. I finally got a set of Rhino Ramps for this on the recommendation of numerous owners. I always tell new urS owners to immediately check if the spark plugs are properly torqued. In these cars they have a habit of working loose, and I've read several reports of a loose plug being ejected, doing significant damage in the process. When I checked mine after buying it, 2 of the plugs were finger-tight!

I'm jealous you found such a low-mileage car. Mine had 129K when I got it. The good news is that it's still totally solid.

Wayne Dohnal
1994 S4