Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Fake HID Kits....can you prove it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fake HID Kits....can you prove it?

A poster here has said multiple times that the HK HID kit many have bought are "fakes" and that he can provide the "real" kits for about $75.00 more that come with a 1 yr warranty.

My question is how can we tell if the McCulloch's we bought from HK are "fake". What are the physical advantages of the "real" kits from the authorized US distributor? (other than a warranty)

Poster..what has your distributor told you about the HK kits and how can we verify they are not the same as the "real" kits? Do you not see how I may be skeptical that everytime someone on here asks about HID's you chime in with your "fake" Vs. "genuine" argument and your "special" offer on the "real" kits?

Are they both made in China? Could your US distributor just be making these "fake" claims b/c some kid in Asia has a connection and is underselling him? Is this a possiblity?

What benefit would the "real" kits you provide give me over the "fake" ones I have installed right now?

I think that this has been brought up enough on this board that it warrants some clarification. This is not meant to be accusatory, I am simply curious as to why you claim that the HK kits are fake?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 year warranty is nothing. All the HID stuff in my car is/was off brand and lasted 4-5 years.

My ballast for the low and fogs are both dead now, but only after 4-5 years.

I'm gogin to return the fogs back to stock, and get a new kit for the lows.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My brother works for Osram

I showed them to him. He said that anything made over there (far east) now is probably of good quality and not to be concerned.

Has anyone tried to resolve an issue through Andy yet?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

4-5 years, HID kits will be $50 and LED headlights will be the next big thing. =)
Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so are you going to get the "fake" kit or the "real" kit?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default the original post about "fake" kits suggested the difference was

in the circuit board in the ballast. The circuit board in the ballasts from Andy Chui (fake kit supplier) are covered in black potting material so no way to check that out...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 PM

I haven't really researched it yet.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Au contrare...

Electronics are funny - if there's a crappy component, it might not fail in the first 10 hours of use, then go "poof!" That's the reason some folks who build their own PCs like to leave a newly-built computer running continously over a weekend.

If the thing is dead when it shows up at your place, and there's no warranty, then you've just thrown away $185. Or you buy another $185 kit, which has now become a $370 kit. ISTM that even a 90-day warranty to cover defects in materials is a good thing, and worth a little extra dough.

I also like to support other UrS enthusiasts, even if their products cost a little more than the competition.

But the warranty thing can be a big deal if the circuit board has a marginal component that renders the light or the system non-functional within the first year.

I am also somewhat disturbed *if* the HK kits are labelled falsely. So I'd rather not support that sort of thing, and until someone can show that the HK kits are made by McCulloch, I'd rather buy the real deal, even if it cost a few bucks more.

Of course, the above is MHO...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Everything in the U.S. is sold with a 30 day warranty. So D.O.A. stuff should not be a worry.

Many have had theirs running over 30 days with no problems.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 PM

That would explain why the POS HID kit I got from that HK supplier had a bad ballast

Quick Reply: Fake HID Kits....can you prove it?