Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Frustrating miss / cutout under no specific condition

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did contact Nate. What it boils down to is that because of the TTL built into the coils there is not easy way to test them.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Quick update...

I started pulling the coils from the car and when I removed the first connector from the back of the first coil I notice the female pins in the connector had a greenish tinge to them. I pulled the rest of them and they all had varying shades of green on them. I didn't know if it was some kind of coating or corrosion. I cleaned them all off with a brass brush, lubed them up and proceeded to pulled out the VOM to get ready to get some resistance readings.

...and wouldn't you know it, the batteries were dead in the VOM. ARGH!

So I have to wait until tonight to get the readings as it was 1am when I was doing the work and was tired anyway. Hopefully I'll get them checked tonight.

On the drive in this morning I only had one small miss / cutout which is better than it was before.

I didn't have anything to get deep enough into the coil side of the connectors without munging up the housing around it (the brass brush I have is a little thick but the bristles aren't very long). I'm going looking for something to get down to those pins to clean them as well. They weren't green but have a dull gray / white color to them.

We'll see how the commute home is today.

Thanks for all the help! I'm hoping this is the issue.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What about your wiring harness? Have you cleaned all of the connections? Rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner from the auto parts store. Worth a shot if you havent done it.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

We're on the same wavelength...quick update posted
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default No miss / cutout on commute home!!

I'm not doing a full celebration on this issue yet. However the car is running better now and not having the miss / cutout hit and make me cringe is a great feeling.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the coils. I probably would have been searching high and low with this car to fix the issue.

Thanks all!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Waskly1977
I'm not doing a full celebration on this issue yet. However the car is running better now and not having the miss / cutout hit and make me cringe is a great feeling.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the coils. I probably would have been searching high and low with this car to fix the issue.

Thanks all!
Yes, the greenish tinge would definitely be corrosion, which would easily cause a voltage drop to the coils and/or timing issues. It was almost certainly your culprit and you would do well to fill those connectors with some dielectric grease to prevent it in the future. Glad to hear it worked out for you.