Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

How bad would it be if I put hydraulic fluid other than 11s into my system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad would it be if I put hydraulic fluid other than 11s into my system?

I had my second power steering hose rebuilt (not J-hose) and when I installed it I realized I had no fluid to top reservoir off.

I took a different car up to my friendly supplier in Boise (about 60 miles away) and I grabbed a can of CHF 11S off the shelf and went to pay. The lady behind the counter tells me the fluid is red and asks if that's what I have. I say no, I have green and she says the 11S is not what I want. Now I am sure that I bought the 11S from them before, but the lady argues with me. I ended up buying a bottle of Hydraulic Oil that she assures me is from the same manufacturer, just in a plastic bottle to save money.

After I start to pour the oil into my steering reservoir I notice the fluid is clear. After topping everything off i start the car and try to bleed all the air out of the system. All is going well until later when I take the car for a test drive. The brake light seems to take forver to go away even after using the brakes and driving for a few minutes. Eventually the light goes out and everything seems fine.

I check the fluid level after I get home and I notice that it seems oil is now seeping out from the sides of the Pump. I wipe everything off and check it again after a few minutes and I see a little bit more seepage.

Did I mess up my pump now by using the wrong type of oil? If yes, does anyone have a decent pump for sale? I actually have a spare pump off a 7A 20V motor I had many years ago in Germany. I'll have to do some research to see exactly what it is, but is there any chance it might work?

The 11S can was Green, but had a red cap and I seem to remember it always having a green cap. Could I mix the two if I needed to?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You had the correct stuff in your hand.........I'm looking at a can of it as I type......

green can.........red cap. The fluid is green in color. NEVER listen to a person at an autoparts store.......in my experience they're often Forest Gump. Can't answer about mixing. I'd flush the whole sysem and start again. Sux. 8^(
Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers.

First, go b@tch slap that lady. She talked you into puting the wrong fluid in there. However, I have seen it listed as red in other places as well. She may have been just reading the notes on the screan? Look below at the link, it's listed as red....wrong!

Flush the system ASAP. Get that other stuff outta there. While you flush you may as well replace that other pump with the 7A unit if it's still leaking. You're in luck, it's the SAME EXACT pump as the one on your UrS4! Just remember to swap the pulley off it as that is differant.

Hope all works out.

{EDIT} Direct link to the power steering fluid does not work as it often doesn't with these Wordlpac sites. Just go to your car and type in "fluid" in the keyword box. You can see they list it as red;-(<ul><li><a href="http://www.fap99.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleWHD&am p;cookieID=2FL1DVMSH2FN1C55HY&amp;yearid=1993%40%4 01993&amp;makeid=AUDI%40%40AUDI%40%40X&amp;enginei d=1009347%40%40S4++%2F+L5%2D2226cc+2%2E2L+GAS+FI++ Turbo+%28AAN
Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Default I have mixed before as well.....

...similar situation. From several ppl that I have talked with in the past it is not going to destroy your seals or anything right off the bat...but it can cause them to dry up after time. If you go back to the 11S...just make sure that you completley flush out the previous mixture...if you are still worried about it after that, then flush it again after some miles.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default She informed me she has been in the import parts business for over 15 yrs.....

So i was in a hurry and just listened to her. The exact fluid I used is pictured on Blaus website. Looks like it is the same as 7.1.

I may just pull my "spare" pump I have been holding onto for all these years out of storage and install it and do a flush.

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_fluid/audi_hydraulic_fluid.shtml
Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi bulletin says it is OK

<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/susp.html#hydoil">http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/susp.html#hydoil</a</li></ul>
Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Pentosin CHF 11S should not be mixed with Pentosin CHF 7.1 or any other hydraulic oil"
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I bought CHF11 from AutoHausAZ, it was a rectangular steel can with green colored printing on it

with a red plastic cap. I still have 1 can of that stuff unopened.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i always chf 7.1 thats what the local audi mechanic told me to use. is this wrong?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

7.1 one is non-synthetic for use in the older cars. 11s is synthetic and is used from 1989 up when they switched to o-ring seals instead of crush washers. Febi makes the correct fluid in a plastic bottle but it doesn't sound like that's what you got :/

Quick Reply: How bad would it be if I put hydraulic fluid other than 11s into my system?