Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

How to power your central locking system when your battery is dead and

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to power your central locking system when your battery is dead and

your front door locks are mechanically disabled (how you got into this situation, we won't go it into)

Situation: Your two front doors have mechanical lock issues (won't open with the key turning in the lock). Furthermore, your battery is dead so the central locking (and unlocking) system pump won't work. As a result, you can't get into your car to open the hood or access the back seat to put a battery charger on the battery (and get the central locking system to work). Not a good situation.

One thing you can try is to open the hood from underneath the car using information from this Hood Release How it works and how to fix it post. If you do get the hood open, then you can charge the battery from the + post on the firewall. If you can't get the hood open, then all is not lost.

While there might be a mysterious electrical connection box under the car (reward offered if anyone finds this), one potential solution is to hook the battery charger positive cable to the thick cable at the starter, as shown in the diagrams below (negative cable to the chassis somewhere handy)[NOTE: IF you go this route, have the car in neutral, hand brake on, wheels chocked/blocked, in case the starter motor tries to engage]:

Last edited by UrS4boy; 07-13-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a95 & a 96 a6 on the lift last week both had the junction block my 92 s4 i am positive has one also dave
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

also be careful if you try to power it at the starter if it touches any other wires up there it may crank & try to run you over dave
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by turboaudis4
had a95 & a 96 a6 on the lift last week both had the junction block my 92 s4 i am positive has one also dave
PHOTO please!!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by turboaudis4
also be careful if you try to power it at the starter if it touches any other wires up there it may crank & try to run you over dave
I was talking about hooking up a battery charger not a jumper cable. But yes, precautions are needed, including having the car in neutral and blocked/chocked.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the vehicle is locked up tight, the next question is how to activate the clutch or shift the transmission to neutral from under the car. : > )
Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok i went to my shop today i took photos but left the camera at the shop. i looked on 92 100 94 100 95 a6 98 a6 avant 96 a6 they had the magic junction box. i then looked under my 92 urs4 & a 94 urs4 they do not have one. the wire goes right to the starter it most be spliced in the harness. maybe you could get to the hot wire on the alternator it sets low enough you might get to it. much safer than the starter dave
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the main starter wire comes directly from the battery + post. A smaller wire goes to the alternator and the rest of the harness. (I think)

Last edited by UrS4boy; 03-28-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Jack one wheel up then. Not going anywhere.

(If you connect to the starter post carefully, you are not going to trigger the solenoid, so the risk is low. Not zero but low)

How would you solve this Tom, without breaking a window and IF you can't get the hood open from under the car?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you were not obsessing over these little details, Dave. I just knew that all those who were picking at things and providing wrong information would have something to say. Looks simple enough to make sure the car does not move until you are ready.

He could get MacGruber to disconnect the clutch flex line and put one of those mighty vac pumps on it and activate the clutch. : )

Seriously, if I couldn't get the hood open, I would call Weldo to come get the car.

Let's back up a few months; if I had let things go to the extent none of the door locks work correctly and I have no remote, the battery runs down, etc, and I have to get on the internet and tell the world how clueless I am, I would have delivered the car to Weldo.

Quick Reply: How to power your central locking system when your battery is dead and