Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Interested in buying a URS6

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in buying a URS6

Hi all,

I recently started looking at AWD vehicles for the winter. I stumbled upon a few videos that looked back on Audi's history and fell in love with some of the older cars. I read that there were only 300 or so '95 S6's imported to the US. Does anyone know if that is true? I've been strongly considering buying one of these for a daily winter driver / project car. Would you recommend buying one? What are the major downsides to these cars? Thanks.

uncommon
Old 04-18-2011, 06:30 AM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

I am pretty sure there are more than 300, but I could be wrong... And Audi's are great cars. The AWD is prime in the rain and in the winter. The S6 is a really good car, but you have to be ready to do maintenance on it. There are small things that sometimes get missed in these cars that screw em up and people try to sell em to you with it screwed up and it's easy to buy a lemon sometimes. Also, the price of replacing certain parts, especially the body is expensive considering there really weren't a lot of these cars made and that it's 16 years old now. I would consider looking into one if you are ready for the maintenance and the time you are going to have to put into the car and if you are an Audi enthusiast. Oh, and these cars are very customizable. Stock they are at 230 HP, but there are kits such as from Intended Acceleration that can get it up to 435ish HP... Anyways, hope this helps...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 AM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, and be ready to throw down around 8-10 thousand dollars for one in pretty good condition.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TJT
Oh, and be ready to throw down around 8-10 thousand dollars for one in pretty good condition.
8-10 thousand just for normal maintenance? Seriously? Is that over it's lifetime or in a certain time frame?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 PM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

haha nooo. I meant for the actual car... sorry. But, things that you might end up screwing up, such as the front bumper cover which goes for like $1200. These are great cars and the engines are rock solid if you keep them well maintained with plugs, oil, proper belt maintenance and stuff like that. I really like mine and I'm sure you would like yours. I was just trying to say that you should expect maintenance for the car.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I might have **** a little bit when I thought you meant 8-10 for maintenance. Are there any tell tale signs of a lemon? Would it be better to go with one that's already "moded" or start with one that is stock? I was thinking a moded car would have been beaten a little harder. I appreciate your help.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

I would just tell you to be weary of URS6's that you see for really low prices, they usually need much more work than is advertised, but then again, so are all cars haha. With the modifications, you're right on. Usually modded cars are beat up more, but at the same time, if someone did it right and maintained their car, it should be fine. I personally find the car to be great just stock. It's all about research and really getting someone to check the car out for you if your not 100% sure you know exactly what to be looking for in a car. One thing just in general that you might find that people aren't advertising is rust on the under carriage, turbos about to blow, and other small things. If you do find an S6, post it on this forum and I am sure I, among many others, will check it out for you/can tell if the car is legitimate. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good advice on one that's modded but taken care of. I just say that for me, my biggest concern when I bought mine was the mechanicals. Cosmetic stuff can be fixed.

allan
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found a really nice '95 in the Denver area 23 months ago with 140k miles, it set me back $4,700. I installed my stage 1+ MTM chips, and have added turbo hoses and an ignition system since. Its my daily driver and runs like a 4-door Carrera. The picture below is the day I bought it.

Good luck....
Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

TJT - I really appreciate and help.

A4Allan - Isn't body work the most expensive thing to do on these cars?

I've been a little discouraged looking at the cars that are currently for sale. They all seem to have high miles and a handful of problems. From what I'm gathering though these cars tend to last to 250+k miles. I guess I'm in no rush to find the perfect one for me. I would like to purchase one within the next 6 months.

Quick Reply: Interested in buying a URS6