Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Interested in buying a URS6

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the 97's really as rare as people say? I found a couple with under 150k miles that look like they are in good - great condition. What should I be looking to pay for one of those?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '97 UrS6 was not imported to the US, only to Canada in North America. They are not OBDII emissions compliant, so you may not be able to register the vehicle in a locale that requires periodic emission inspections in order to license the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scarman
The '97 UrS6 was not imported to the US, only to Canada in North America. They are not OBDII emissions compliant, so you may not be able to register the vehicle in a locale that requires periodic emission inspections in order to license the car.
That's odd. I've seen several registered in the US but that is a very good point. It'd suck to buy one and get it to my state just for them to say no.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uncommon
That's odd. I've seen several registered in the US but that is a very good point. It'd suck to buy one and get it to my state just for them to say no.
An owner in NH has been getting a waiver based on this EPA regulation. It varies by state and sometimes by the locality. It's just another item to be checked out before purchasing one. My neighbor owns a '97 S6, but we have no emission inspections, and are unlikely to have any imposed in the near future.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/420b11015.pdf
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found a '97 with 141k miles in great condition. The owner is asking 8500. The downside is it's located across the country. The t-belt, water pump and tensioner have been replaced 20k miles ago. It's pearl white with platinum leather. It has heated seats, sunroof and concert stereo upgrade. The owner also has a huge list of upgrades.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party service that will inspect the vehicle and verify claims? This is essential since I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are not sure if it was 23 or 73 1997 UrS6s were imported into Canada. We also got some 1996 UrS6s (same spec as the US 95.5s) but no UrS avants, ever.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
We are not sure if it was 23 or 73 1997 UrS6s were imported into Canada. We also got some 1996 UrS6s (same spec as the US 95.5s) but no UrS avants, ever.
So which S6 is the most "wanted"?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Avant.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found a car for sale that needs some work but sounds pretty solid. I worried about an issue the seller has mentioned. He states that the break pedal sticks during cold weather. Could that be a bad sign? Anyways, bellow is all he said about the car. Any insight would be helpful.

-------------------------------

Modifications:
-MRC stage II chip (~275 hp, FAST!)
-EFI Express coil kit
-H&R sport lowering springs (-1.5", perfect ride height, should have been this way from factory, not too low)
-Bilstein sport shocks
-Igor camber plates
-3-point Sport wheel & shift ****
-boost gauge
-clear corner signals
-Stainlss Steel braided brake lines

Maintenance in past 20k miles:
-Entirely New suspension
-front & rear subframe & sway bar bushings
-motor & transmission mounts
-all new wheel bearings
-front outer CV joints
-front ball joints
-rear transverse links
-Timing belt
-Water pump
-Thermostat
-coolant temp sensor
-coolant tank
-Front seals
-steering pump
-All high pressure hoses rebuilt (pwr steering & j-hose)
-brake bomb
-hydraulic filter screen
-clutch slave cylinder
-spark plugs (Bosch F5DPOR)
-after run pump
-valve cover gasket
-SS brake lines w/blue race ATE fluid
-MAF
-turbo inlet hose
-2watt dash bulb upgrade
-temp display bulb
-ignition switch
-nice condition center ecru arm rest
-climate control button R&R
-trunk struts
-battery

This car has been taken car of by an enthusiast. The reason for sale is that I have found the same year model with lower miles and in better condition. These cars are great!

The entire suspension was overhauled and every rubber bushing and/or mount was replaced during the process along with adding lowering springs, proper shocks and camber plate upgrades.

Exterior paint condition 4/10, right side is shiny (respray from some earlier work), rest of paint in fairly/poor condition, will need respray. Slight dent in driver's rear quarter panel, otherwise panels very straight, no major dings or dents. Absolutely no rust (southern car).

Interior 6/10. Seats in typical OK condition for this car, rip in driver's exterior bolster, cracks here and there. Some leather conditioner and re-stain could go a long way. Rear bench in good condition. Front heated seat elements not fully functioning. Headliner sagging in rear.

The original Bose head unit stereo is included in the sale however the security code is not. ECS Tuning no longer has the stock radio for sale however they do sell the concert radio for under $30 which can be installed with minor modification and is a common upgrade. You may find a used stock Bose head unit called "Gamma CC" on audifans marketplace or ebay. Any aftermarket deck can be installed as well. I will include a wiring harness and line-level adapter with the sale.

Needs:
-Front tires & alignment. The current front tires need to be replaced immediately. They can be used for driving around town but I would not drive at highway speeds with them. Size is 225 50 R16 and decent performance tires can be had for $85 each. I can arrange installment and alignment for the winning bidder at their cost if so desired. Rear tires have about 10-15% left.
-Steering rack has slight leak. I already have a rebuilt unit waiting installation ($450 value)
-Brake pedal has intermittent stickiness in action in cold weather (does not interfere w/stopping performance)
-Sunroof cable repair, sunroof will open, close and tilt however gears are stripping. I already sourced a replacement unit for $200 if interested. Does NOT leak!
-Parking brake cable sticks on right side when used. It is currently unstuck, replacement cable is included.

Serviced regularly w/synthetic oil & filter. Front & Rear diff fluids changed @ 135k miles. Compression test passed with flying colors (well (160, 166, 157, 167, 169, test range: 131-189 psi).

Car runs well with plenty of power, hits 22 psi in 4rth. No hesitation, hiccups or jerking. Handles very well with new suspension.

This car was purchased for $4,800 in 2006 with 135k miles. I drove it for 5 years and 20k miles and spent roughly $6,000 in repairs, parts and upgrades. Whoever gets this car is getting a good deal. My loss is your gain. I already have the other S6 and this one has to go!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you a capable DIY guy that plans to do most of the work himself? If so, you could have a happy relationship with this vehicle. You did not mention the price, so that must still be negotiable. Despite all the work that has been recently completed, there are still major items to be done. The interior is pretty ragged and it needs paint, so those need to be budgeted for. They are not DIY items for most.

Quick Reply: Interested in buying a URS6