Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Intermittent freeway stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent freeway stalling problem

Hi Guys,

Well, today has been the day from hell. I was supposed to arrive in Chicago at 1PM to move in to my new place. I was driving the moving truck with my Triumph on the trailer, my parents were in the S4.

About 30 minutes into the trip, I get a call from my dad. The S4 stalled, but he got it started again. 10 minutes later, a call again...same thing. We regrouped and I followed him in the truck. The stalling started to happen more and more frequently. In fact, at one point (I was timing with my watch), it would happen approx. every 90 seconds. Each time, my dad would put the hazards on, and then, after about 20 seconds or when the car reached about 30 mph, the car would start again and we'd be off. Strangely enough, the stall frequency seemed to be every 90 sec when traveling 65-70mph, every 5-10 minutes when traveling 55-60 mph.

Now for the background info:

- 2 days ago, I had the local Best Buy install a Viper 350HV car alarm. I called the install guy and he assured me that no work was done in the vicinity of the ignition switch (my first thought).
- I also had two new keys made for the car yesterday. When trying them out, one did not work smoothly and put some strain on the switch when trying to twist it.
- Yesterday, I also swapped out the original coils and POS (all of which worked perfectly well) for the 034 Motorsport 1.8T conversion.
- Yesterday, I also put a bottle of Lubro-Moly Ventil-Sauber...that was about 10 years old.

Now, bear in mind that two weeks ago, I drove this from San Francisco to Iowa...2000 miles...with no problem. I've also been driving it all day Thursday and Friday with no incident whatsoever. I feel like it must be either something to do with the four items mentioned above that were done most recently.

A few more things. When the engine would cut out, there would still be electrical power to accessories...for instance, the tach would still be registering until my dad put the clutch in to restart the car. Also, when he would be able to restart it, I'd notice a puff of black smoke coming out the TP, suggesting the car might be running rich. Temperatures were normal (coolant and oil). Temperature out on the road today was about 85 deg F.

I STFA and couldn't find anything that sounds like this. I'm baffled.

I had to spend all day moving into my new apt. Tomorrow AM I am going to hook up my VAG-COM to search for a code. I also have a new ignition switch and may just replace that as a matter of course. In the meantime, any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. My parents hate this car now.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Pull the codes. Fuel pump? I'd guess Best Buy is the culprit.

Anything that hacks into the factory wiring is a recipe for trouble.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Default Fuel Pump was replaced 50K miles ago...

...and the car never has a problem starting...it just has a problem staying running. But, of course, it can't be ruled out.

The Best Buy guy who did the install (he has a '96 A6, btw, so knows the C4 chassis) said that the wires he connected for the alarm tapped into the door lock circuit, starter motor circuit, parking light circuit, and then power from a ring terminal at the bottom of the fusebox. He said he didn't touch ignition switch or ignition circuit. I'll bring the car to a local BB and have 'em check it out.

However, given how the problem gets worse with speed, I was thinking it could be the 034 coilpack conversion. Does that make sense?
Old 08-13-2006, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

swap old coils and pos's back in.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default It shouldn't be the coil pack conversion unless you didn't get the power plugs all the way in or...

something. As S6 4Rings suggests, put the OEM coil pack back in for now and see if there is any improvement.

The way you describe it, it seems like the fuel pump is over heating at a certain load (even that doesn't make real sense because the fuel pump just pumps constant flow).

There are no codes for a bum fuel pump.

It could be the cam position sensor (it throws a CEL). The code is 2113.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Hmmm...replaced CPS with t-belt 2500 miles ago...

...and I had no problems at all for the 2000 miles between CA and IA. I'll be checking VAG codes shortly.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then it is pointing at the fuel pump or something BB did. Bad Fuel Pump relay? (Under the drivers..

side knee bolster, far right hand side, J17).

Its something simple. And likely electrical. Relay or connection issue. Could still be ignition switch. Take the knee bolster off and check the connection to the ignition switch and the FP relay. Its probably one of those two.

Or not.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Will do -- thanks so much for the advice!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default best buy? my guess is they knocked something around under the dash bolster

... or something isn't plugged in just right with the 034 kit. heat doesn't sound right because you just did a drive from sf to ic and experienced more varied heat.

keep us informed.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Like the J17 Fuel Pump Relay on the right side of the relay panel under the bolster.