Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Long crank time....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long crank time....

So, recently (and not consistantly) I get a hard start condition. I mean, I hear the starter turning over, and I read good voltage once it finally starts, but it takes a very long time to crank!!!

Sometimes it starts up right away... and sometimes it seems to take forever. Of course, I always panic a bit that... "Oh crap, it's not going to start", but so far, it's always started.

Is there something wearing out, or something I should replace?? Any BTDT??

I know my battery is going on 5+ years old, so I was thinking of replacing that, but I always check the voltage guage and reads fine right after startup. I don't think that's the problem.

Any thoughts?? Ideas??
Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Starter?

Sounds like what mine did last year before it quit. Lucky I was only a few blocks away from home, because 45min earlier I was on the Mississippi having fun!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

ignition switch?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cold cranking amps....swap out the battery and see if it makes a difference (easiest and cheapest)
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default probably your CPS going bad. r&r asap before it leaves you stranded

if the car does this when you try to start it after sitting for a short time while warm, it is a classic failing CPS symptom.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have the battery tested

Your battery is very old and voltage on the gauge after start up has nothing to do with battery health. That just means that your alternator is working. Voltage with the key on before you start it is an indication of the charge in the battery, but this is with little or no load on the battery. A test will place a load on the battery and see how much juice it really has.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default May be a stupid question, but what is the CPS?

Is that the cam position sensor??

How big of a pain in the *** is this to replace?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good call. Mines on 5 years now, so I figure it's not got much left in it anyways.

I think I'll put in an Optima Red Top this weekend and see if that helps. It's a good place to start anyways.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had a problem like this, the guys on this forum told me my fuel pump was about to die...

I had it replaced and the problem went away. Then a few months later it came back again. Took the car to a mechanic and he told me I needed a new fuel pressure regulator valve (if I remember correctly). Basically, fuel was draining back into the tank and not staying in the lines when the car was shut down. I had it fixed and it's good now. I don't know if the fuel pump was dying or not, but there are a few possible culprits for you. :-)
The following users liked this post:
patogferreira (05-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gee, I wonder if there is anything in the FAQ about the cam position sensor?

Oh, wait. Of course there is. Imagine that.

The link below is the lead in. There are three or four posts underneath it. Check them all out.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/149821.phtml">Start of the FAQ page CPS info</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Long crank time....