Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

New 94 urs4 sluggish problem... videos!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replied! Sorry if I came off rude or upset! No hard feelings. Youre awesome for helping so much!

I checked the moisture trap and it seems tight. I did a boost leak test tonight and everything seems tight. Only issue I had was trying to listen over my boost leak testers hiss...
I was driving home tonight and actually put my foot to the floor and it woke up. I guess I'm used to my stage 2 B5 S4. I still seemed a little slower but it IS stock... for now.
Any chip recommendations? Or DIY chip burning? I'm looking for something cheap right now since I just sold my other B5 S4 to put a down payment on a house so money is kinda tight for a few weeks!

If it's one of those things where it can't be done "right" for cheap could you elaborate?

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are chip sets out there for cheap. Even chipped ECUs with the 3.0 Bar upgraded MAP sensor, often for under $500. Typically good for 270-280 hp (which is as far as you can safely go with out entering the slippery slope of bigger turbo, exhaust manifold, bigger injectors, etc).

I left you a long reply on the S2Forum private mail.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Honestly, if I could figure out an EMS and a cheap/reliable exhaust manifold, i'd probably go with an HX35 or HX40. They're bulletproof and make gobs of power. So far though driving this damn car has me at my wits end! I've been trying to track down a mid boost misfire. I used an adjustable spark plug tester. Found that coil 3 was "weaker" than all the rest so I swapped it out with a "good" coil and the damn thing misfires worse than the original one. Facepalm.

I'm gonna try and pick up a few coils tomorrow as well as an extra POS. This ignition system is a damn joke. Anything else out there that's more reliable yet still fairly cheap? I've seen the 1.8t swap but wasn't sure exactly whats best these days. I managed to wrangle a few bucks from the fiance out of our "house fund". I just can't stand it anymore. I haven't been able to do a full boost pull yet since I've owned the damn thing. On top of that I get very little time to dick with it. I'm tired of wasting time on it with little to no change.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

When my original coils/POS starting acting up 2 years ago I ordered the LS2 kit from EFI Express for ~$400. It took about an hour to pull the old stuff out and hook up the new kit. I'm sure it's not bulletproof, but it seems to work well with my MTM stage 1+ setup, and no yearly coil/POS issues.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1gcrazy
Honestly, if I could figure out an EMS and a cheap/reliable exhaust manifold, i'd probably go with an HX35 or HX40. They're bulletproof and make gobs of power. So far though driving this damn car has me at my wits end! I've been trying to track down a mid boost misfire. I used an adjustable spark plug tester. Found that coil 3 was "weaker" than all the rest so I swapped it out with a "good" coil and the damn thing misfires worse than the original one. Facepalm.
You are SOoOOooooo far away from doing any upgrades let alone something with a Holset turbo, that thought is just mental masturbation. (Sorry)

You can't expect miracles when you replace a used part with a used part. The only good news is you learned how to swap in a "new" coil.

Originally Posted by 1gcrazy
I'm gonna try and pick up a few coils tomorrow as well as an extra POS. This ignition system is a damn joke. Anything else out there that's more reliable yet still fairly cheap? I've seen the 1.8t swap but wasn't sure exactly whats best these days. I managed to wrangle a few bucks from the fiance out of our "house fund". I just can't stand it anymore. I haven't been able to do a full boost pull yet since I've owned the damn thing. On top of that I get very little time to dick with it. I'm tired of wasting time on it with little to no change.
The ignition system is NOT a "damn joke". It lasted probably 15 years without an issue. However, once the OE system starts to fail, the only cure that will let you keep your sanity is replacement with NEW parts, either OE coils and POSs or going to replacement systems offered by Apikol (with 2.0TFSI coilpacks) or EFI Express (LS2 coils in one set or 2.0TFSI coils in another set). New OE coils and POSs are expensive so many people opt for the 2.0TFSI coilpack sets (this was started by me in 2005 with 1.8t coilpacks).

The Apikol sets are around $375. Apikol is in the Denver area.