Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

The next step on the slippery slope...performance coatings

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks great. I like the choice of color.

So I agree that the black color increases emissivity, but does the coating also insulate and prevent convection?

Assuming the intake manifold is hotter than ambient, if the coating is an insulator, then thats bad. So if you are applying it to the exhaust manifold and downpipe as an insulator then its contradictory. See what I mean? What is it? An insulator or conductor? I think most ceramics are insulators. (meaning they conduct heat less than bare metals) Thats why they're applied to exhaust manifolds, headers and downpipes. Further heat wrapping helps contain the heat and energy as well.

Most black anodizing aluminum heatsinks are black for emissivity and the thin anodizing does not harm convective radiation in any way. I'm of the opinion the best intercooler is a black anodized coating. Followed by a copper coating on aluminum, Next best is bare alumimum. Thicker coatings whether paint or ceramic will insulate.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The BBE coating is a conductor, not an insulator. And it's not ceramic.

Swaintech won't say exactly what it's made from. But it is a very fine anodized/baked coating process.

He coated the IM with Swaintech BBE (conductor)
and the EM with Swaintech "White Lightning" (ceramic insulator)
Old 11-17-2005, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default and there is no reduction in convection?

I just find it hard to believe it conducts heat better than aluminum (a bare metal) in convective applications. Many space age coatings are exactly that, made for outer space where there is no air. The only means of heat dissipation is radiation.
So there are even black coatings that absorb less solar energy than standard white coatings. Very peculiar stuff, but it might be unsuitable for convection.

Just did some readings on BBE and it doesn't really say much about Convection which is probably 90% of how an intercooler works when moving. Would be interesting to see any link you have on the BBE regarding convection. If its sufficiently thin, it likely to have no negative impact like thin anodizing.

edit: One more thing, In a stock intercooler location for an URs4. The heat radiated off the radiator could just as easily be reaborbed by a black coating on the intercooler thereby offsetting any gain a Black body Coating would reap. I would ask for the radiation absorptance figure for the BBE. There are some very special black coatings which have absorptance figures in the .10 to .20 and the emissivity figures around .9. Most black coatings have absorptance and emissivity figures both around .9 which means they absorb and release energy equally. Hence they're hotter to the touch cause they absorb more energy.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Experiment.

If you're up north this may not be possible.
But if you get a chance. Can you lay the intercooler out in the sun?

Obviously the coating is very thin so its likely going to have no real impact on convection.

I'd like to know of its absorptance rating is low or high. That has always been the one of the knacks against BBE coatings on Intercoolers when placed in stock locations in front of radiators and such. In an open FMIC location, that isn't an issue; however, this would be great information to have because a low aborptance high emissivity coating that thin would be very useful. Typically such a coating is VERY expensive and used only on satellites.

Swaintech website is kinda barren or any of this info.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default To try to answer both your posts...

The exhaust components will get a different coating that is comprised of solid ceramic layers (an insulator) designed to prevent heat transfer to the engine compartment and to promote exhaust gas scavenging through maintenance of higher EGT's within the downpipe.

The BBE coating works the opposite way by promoting the "wicking" of heat away from the item coated (promoting heat transfer).

Regarding your experiment, we are sort of past our window of opportunity here for strong direct sunlight. I assume you are trying to determine whether the black color will absorb heat from the sun? If so, I could see that heat absorbed from the radiator could negate the emissive benefits.

But aren't heat absorption from sunlight, and heat absorption from an adjacent object different things?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: To try to answer both your posts...

IR radition would be similar. There is light and then thermal radiation. Typical Black body's absorb just as well as they emit.

This is difference between say plain jane Black anodized aluminum and special coatings that are designed for high emisivity with no absorptive properties.

So if the BBE is such a product that reflects IR and Solar radition at .1 while emitting IR at .9 it makes anything coated with it cooler.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe for the same reason your radiator is coated ?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Maybe for the same reason your radiator is coated ?

I don't have a condensor, sitting still without the fan a thin black coating will help as long as it doesn't insulate from convection.