Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

RS2 Chipset recommendations / detonation

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS2 Chipset recommendations / detonation

I have nicely modded '94 S4, full RS 2 mods. Brought it down from Canada, and ever since I've had it, unless I put in octane booster, I will get detonation a WOT. Hence, I never really open the throttle all the way, unless I have put in octane booster.

I think the chipset is a Lehman, but in any case, I am looking for a good recommendation for a little less aggressive chip, or one that can run on 91 octane super. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If that is Dave L's black 94 UrS4, then the chip set is from Bob Pastore and is a combination of MTM and Schmalz Tuning chips. It is very agressive with respect to advance and pings like crazy. Dave, Sean D (quattro20v) and I all had the same software. Sean went for the real deal MTM through a Dahlback distributor and found the pinging decreased (but did not go away). I switched to MRC through Bob Myers at Chips-Ur-s.com and was very pleased much more linear (less on/off). Not as much horsepower but less pinging (still a bit the odd time) and much more useable. The Bob Pastore home brew was terrible to drive in the twisties because of the on/off nature and turbo lag. The MRC software was way better.

Contact Bob Myers for the MRC software.

Contact Mike Hoppen at Hoppen Motorsports for MTM RS2 software (be clear to tell him you have a 3.0 Bar Bosch MAP sensor).

HTH

Dave F. in Vancouver BC.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

zero detonation here in Texas (hot) with IA's RS2 software - full OEM hardware (turbo, EM, MAF and injectors) and a FMIC- never pinged
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes, it's Dave's car.....

...I have had luck in the past with IA chipsets (albeit not for RS2 mods). Dave, I see you are in BC.....do you think this MRC chip will work well in Oregon, where 91 octane super is the norm?

I drive between Portland and Seattle a lot, so I go right through where IA is located, in fact I am going through today, might stop by and check them out. I know Ned Ritchie is no longer owner, I hope they still have reputable programming.

Thanks for the info. BTW, the chip programming on this Pastore is brutal. When it comes on, it's wicked, but highly unpredictable and it's like double turbo lag. Very scary in the wet/ice/snow.

Robert
Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so... I'm not dave - but I'm a recent IA convert (in the past year) as I said full RS2 and very, very pleased. Smooth as silk - but wickedly fast.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by randerson22
..do you think this MRC chip will work well in Oregon, where 91 octane super is the norm?

I drive between Portland and Seattle a lot, so I go right through where IA is located,

Thanks for the info. BTW, the chip programming on this Pastore is brutal. When it comes on, it's wicked, but highly unpredictable and it's like double turbo lag. Very scary in the wet/ice/snow. Robert
Bob Myers at Chips-Ur-S.com (the US MRC dealer) has a 91 Octane RS2 chipset for you, if you are interested. Contact Bob directly.

IA is no longer in Olympia, I think the new "owner" Alex is somewhere like Redmond or Woodinville. (I think)

I still have my Bob Pastore Pingmeister(tm) chipset. I keep them in case I decide to drag race my car. Those chips and 9 L of toluene in with 71L of 94 will get you 318 wheel hp. Scary when the boost comes on. I had my Pastore chips in when I drove across Vancouver Island from Nanaimo to Tofino and it is was scary. Foot down, nothing, nothing, BAMMMM. Off like a scalded cat. Which would be fine but that road is one corner after another. As is result it was useless. Later, same drive but with MRC RS2 chips (less hp) was much smoother and I made better time.

Dave F.