Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Sh!t ! forgot to put grease on clutch splines ... need to do it all over again :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** ! forgot to put grease on clutch splines ... need to do it all over again :-(
Old 12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No, I'm sure it's fine -- Re: **** ! forgot to put grease on clutch

The clutch disc barely moves a fraction of an inch on the spline. That's nothing to worry about. Unless you mean the where the throwout bearing slides over the front of the transmission? That actually moves a cm or so and kinda needs some grease...but if you forgot to grease there, even that probably wouldn't be an issue. It's nice to grease the spline to feel comfortable that everything is working smoothly, but if it's clean, it's really not necessary. Releasing the clutch releases pressure on the disk -- The disk doesn't actually need to move much, if at all, on the spline. Think about how much the brake calipers and pads move...it's about the same. A sticky non-greased caliper would be more of a problem (but of course also easier to re-grease). The clutch disk would have to be rusted to the spline to cause any sort of problem...which I suppose would be prevented with some grease. :-/ But still, don't worry about it. I've done lots and lots of clutches and I've always noticed that whatever grease I might have put on the spline or on the face of the throwout bearing tends to be completely gone in a very short time (like if I wrecked the clutch after a couple months and needed to re-do it again). I'd say greasing the inside of the Throwout bearing where it slides on the front of the transmission is more important -- But again, unless it was rough or rusty or dirty, even that probably wouldn't cause a problem.

I hope that will set your mind at ease. :-) I don't want to ever have to do the clutch in my S-Car again either. That was about the most time-consuming and difficult job that I can remember doing.

Good luck...enjoy your new clutch! ;-)
Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Too late - already finished

Grease wears out very quickly - that's true. But it's function is most importantly to assist break-in process.

Yes. I lubed the inside of the throw-out bearing also
Old 12-31-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What is the penalty for not opening it back up to grease the splines?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Opinion ...

- Hard to install transmission (ok this one is a fact, we all know the shaft doesn't slide in easily without lubrication :-P)
- Stiffer action initially
- Uneven wear during break-in
Old 12-31-2007, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mmmm, that's good to know.

I would not like to have to tear out a tranny again after putting one in, just to slap on a little grease.

Are you gonna haul the thing apart?