Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Suspension rebuild/Bilstein revalving

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension rebuild/Bilstein revalving

Ok some newbee question here, bare with me.

I'm about to tear apart my crapped out original 95 S6 suspension and rebuild with H&R sports, Bilstein sports, ECS camber plates & all new bushings & hardware bits. Motor & transmission mounts already done. I have read about the preferred Bilstein revalving to 10% stiffer compression and 30% stiffer rebound. My question is at an additional cost of $300 for revalving, is it worth it? My S6 is used as a short distance daily driver on good roads with the occasional weekend canyon carving getaway.

Can anyone suggest a good place to source the Bilsteins? So far I found them the cheapest at ECS for $475. From what I have read about revalving it seems like they rebuild the strut to the point that it may be worth it to source a used set of Bilstiens in good condition and just have them revalved. Anyone BTDT? Warranty issues? Anyone have a set they want to get rid of? Turnaround time for the revalving?

Also, is the HRSB upgrade fairly easy to do as a add on at a later point or is it best to do while the rear susp is apart? Hap you still making these?

I have found alot of info on rebuilding the front suspension but not much on the rear. Does anyone have some helpful comments or at least can you point me in the right direction?
I do have the parts list for the entire suspension rebuild (+ ETKA & Bentley) however some of the parts seem like they could be reused barring the ones that are required to be replaced that is.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Xel

Default Revalving not worth it for Daily Driver, HRSB is gonna make it an oversteer monster

Tirerack.com has good prices on springs and shocks, fast and reliable shipping too.

With H&R Race springs, I got plenty of oversteer, especially in wet. If you go H&R Sport then maybe a rear sway bar will help. I wouldn't bother unless you are going to take your car to the track more than 3 times a year.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think the re-valving #'s you mentioned are for Bilstein HD's. IIRC there was an email..

recently from Hap to the S-car list with the revalving info.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The HRSB is still available but is not da Monstah!!!

It just takes about forever to get one fabbed. Your car will NOT be an oversteer monster despite what Xel says. There are 3 adjustments good for 125, 140 and 155 lbs of anti-roll. There are guys running at all 3 levels. It just depends on your other suspension mods. Before I went to coil-overs, I loved the +10/+30% on the Bilsteins. It was a great street setup that could perform on the track.

Hap, wit dakine suspension thoughts not from Evahboost, Maguire
Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Xel

Default LOL I was comparing Stock-93-no-sway bar car to a HRSB car with H&R springs

probably exaggerating a bit, but it rains a lot here so getting the rear end out is easy even on stock software, hehe