Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Tach bouncing around with A/C on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach bouncing around with A/C on.

I just put in my new VEMS ecu and noticed a weird problem. It may be the ecu or may be another problem that is being exacerbated because the VEMS is more sensitive to ground issues. But I thought maybe someone here might be able to drum up a correlation given the symptoms. I have not had time to even look at it but I did look at page 100-09 in Bentley.

Symptoms: turn A/C on and the tach starts fluttering. After 5 seconds, the A/C turns off and won't come back on until the car is restarted. Turning the lights on makes the tach drop to zero and one time turned the oil autocheck light on (even though VEMS does not support autocheck.

The instrument cluster, a/c control head, autocheck and ground near the headlight all seem to have some relation according to page 100-09. But I haven't looked too far yet. Does anyone who has messed around with any of those areas have any thoughts? It does NOT do this with Motronic---that does not necessarily mean it is the VEMS

BTW: Marc Swanson has been very helpful and is going to ship me another VEMS to rule that out. But I doubt it is the VEMS ( I could be wrong) but rather think it is a ground or wiring problem. Marc has not had any similar problems with any other VEMS units.