Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Thinking about parting ways. E36 M3 or B5 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about parting ways. E36 M3 or B5 S4?

Ive decided to ditch my trade and go back to college. Which means as much as I love my UrS4 I can't keep it. I wont have the time and attention to give it the care it needs.

So those of you that have some experience with either car (E36 M3 -or- B5 S4), can you comment on what the ownership experience is like, and how it compares with the UrS? I'm really interested in the driving dynamics as well. I figure I have about $9,000 to spend.

Also what is a 93' UrS4 with 246K miles in decent shape worth? Mostly stock except for Boxster Calipers (A8 rotors), Clear corners, E-Code headlamps and A4 16 inch wheels. Needs new front seats, and a steering rack.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Drop the B5 S4 right now, if you can't devote the time and attention needed to your UrS the B5 S4 is not for you. When the turbos go it is not a cheap fix, not that it ever is. 2.7T is pretty much shoehorned into the car.

They are a blast to drive, but unless you are financially comfortable to be taking on the potentially high maintenance costs in the near term I would stay away.

Good luck on your heading back to school!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default On the comparing side to the B5... Eeheemm... (Video)

Both are beast's, I also love the B5's and have been wanting one for sometime. But do yourself a favor and buy it already stage 3. Because you will end up wanting to go that route if you've ever takin a ride in a stock vs. stage 3 B5. Here is my UrS4 against a B5 Stage 2+ though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAW12...eature=channel
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice run.. I'll bet you were quite pleased to pull her in the run!
JP
Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

M3 = before driving it, I was like - OK
M3 = after driving it - i quite like it - its light, its stiff, and tiny = but i like it

Go somewhere/ask people maybe you could have a 'test' drive
Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ive already driven an E36 that was pretty much an M3 minus the 325 engine. I was extremely impressed with the chassis. Otherwise I wouldn't even be considering the thing.

You could hit a bump mid corner with a few degrees of slip in the back and the wonderful thing wouldn't bite your head off. If I tried that with the miata I used to have it would result in at least some frantic steering correction at worse a spin.

I like the test drive idea but im 22 and have that devious look in my eyes so I don't think many people will be offering.

B5 S4s are a complete mystery to me but they keep that sweet engine note and all wheel drive which is why im looking at them. I looked up some info about the turbos. From what I have been reading the cars strike me as a bit fragile and not as well built when compared to the UrS4. Am I right?

Good points so far, keep em' coming.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Leaving already? Didn't you buy that car from somebody in Vacaville. I was headed to buy it but the guy called me on my way out the door told me he sold it to you...

Anyway of the two and with $9000 your best bet would be the M3.

Unless you can find a B5 with the turbo's already changed (i.e K04, RS6 better). Does not really need to be Stag3'ed yet but at least the turbos & DP's need to be changed.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

$11-12 will get you a KO4 sedan. turbos are a hit or miss wether they gonna pop quick or not, 01 is a better year for that as the turbos breath easier with some modifcation made by Audi in 01.

M3's are sick, have very enticing road feel and that older BMW raw feeling. I'd lean toward a stock M3 over a stock S4, but finding a cared for and not ragged to hell M3 in the 9,000 range will be a crap shoot. seems like many e36 m3 owners are younger and beat em hard, though they are tuough and handle it, its a slight scary investment.
if you find one that seems a bit slower than it should be, dont be afraid, have the vanos and cam timing checked, easy fix and could save you $$$ if purchasing. back yard and not so intuned mechanics will not time them properly
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lloyd21
Leaving already? Didn't you buy that car from somebody in Vacaville. I was headed to buy it but the guy called me on my way out the door told me he sold it to you...
Yeah I know... Im not ready to leave yet. Im planing on full time college and a part time job, giving an old car character adjustments just doesn't fit in.

As for me beating you to this car, believe me I saved you a bunch of heart ache (roughly translated to $4500 and that is doing most of the labor myself!). When I got it, it wasn't passing smog, wasn't boosting past 5psi, was pinging like a big dog, had all kinds of sensor errors when I VAG-COMed it, needed a fuel pump, E T C.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn I dont feel so bad now. If you already got $4500 into it, id just keep it, at least you know the car and whats going on with it.

B5's are cool and my next car will be a B5 avant, but you got to damn near pull the engine just to change the oil.

Quick Reply: Thinking about parting ways. E36 M3 or B5 S4?