Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

wooshing and hissing..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wooshing and hissing..

i get this sound when pushing hard and then suddenly letting go of the throttle.. But the car is still pulling strong with no hard bucking just a little bit of hesitation, so I would assume it's not anywhere after the turbo. Although I have some cracks on the intake hose (MAF to Turbo) on the turbo end near the clamp. Could this be it? BPV 710N is few months old.. What's up?

TIA
Old 12-03-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh... my dahlback BPV has always sounded like that... you sure anything is wrong?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just noticed this sound a day or two ago..

i guess I better crawl under again and check. But if it was a boost hose issue, you would have serious bucking, right? Like I said it still pulls strong.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds normal, my hyperboost always sounded like that, you should hear it now w/ my intake!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're Motdyne intake! Does it sound like thousands of people being murderd all at once?

;-)
Old 12-03-2004, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Better! Sounds like a tornado ripping through downtown NYC!!....................

people everywhere run and look back at me in horror!! Bwahahahahahahahahh
Old 12-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: wooshing and hissing..

This is a normal sound of a bypass valve when either shifting or just letting off the throttle. I had my Bailey bypass valve on for about 45,000 miles and a few weeks ago I noticed that I wasn't hearing the pssshhh on shifts and I was getting a little bit of hesitation during shifts. So I took out the bpv, cleaned with alcohol and re-lubed it------now a nice quick pssshhhh on shifts again. AAAHHHH yeah!!!!.........but if you have cracks ANYWHERE on you MAF to turbo hose you are letting UN metered air past the MAF (mass airflow sensor) throwing off your air to fuel mixture. I had the exact same tear on my hose at the neck of the turbo, it was on the underside and I did not see it until I used a little telescopic mirror to look under it. The heat of the turbo and over tightening of the clamp did it in. Anyway get the hose replaced.

Good luck

D
Old 12-03-2004, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

why was I not hearing this before? All of a sudden there it is.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You've BPV might have been stuck/not working properly.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The other post from UR-Idiot Savant-S6 mentions "w/ my intake" if you just put on either a K& N panel filter or any kind of cone filter this will cause you to hear your bypass valve louder than ever before. The stock air filter muffles the sound of the air being bypassed or diverted. I noticed it after putting in my K & N panel filter also. Now if you have had this intake mod on for a while now OR if you have not put it on yet--------your valve could have been stuck like he mentioned. If you have bought the car used and are not sure of the age of the valve you might want to think about removing and taking it apart, clean & lube it, and then you will know that it's o.k.

D

Quick Reply: wooshing and hissing..