Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

034 H.O coils or DIY LS2? Discuss.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be nice if it was resolved, I'm not currently out anything on the coil packs and the stockers are working fine for the moment. A new regulator shold be pretty cheap and I could always toss one in for a test to see how it fares.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default FYI Germantoy (Nick) has a whole set of LS2 he was trying to sell

He is local (MA)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the 034 HO but they were on the car when I bought.... no problems with them but I am not really running anything high enough to really put them to the test (IMHO)
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this is very interesting.

There seems to be two different D585 coils. ones with and without soidered connections on teh heat sink...

I have 3 of one style and 2 of the other styloe in my setup, but other than a loose wire a couple times, no issues. and I beat the **** outta my car on a regular basis, so it ain't from taking it easy.....
Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedtek
EFI's kits are still unavailable due to coil pack issues. You can buy the wiring harness and plug wires from him atm though. Marc is working on a fix for coils.........
I believe Marc was banned from AW, so don't expect an official response here.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Really, why?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I'd like to know....probably for advertising infringement if I had to guess
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, I think they wanted him to pay to be an advertiser
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some notes on the ls2 stuff

I need to update the message on my website, I've been gathering data for weeks/months on a few problems some customers experienced with my kits.

First off, I should note that the vast majority of the kits I have sold work great. I wouldn't have started selling them at all in the first place if I expected any problems.

The biggest problem I've encountered is that some chipsets DO NOT seem to want to work correctly with Ls2 coils. So far I've found MTM 1+ will go into limp home mode after a short period of time running on D585s. Despite my best efforts to come up with a workaround for these problem chipsets, I haven't been able to. So as a result I've left the 'out of stock' message on the site to discourage sales until I could more fully define the problem. I cant advertise something for sale as plug and play for all //s cars knowing that certain chipsets are a no go. I wouldn't mind placing a disclaimer on the site and offering them for sale, if I could be certain of those chips that wont work.

The second problem I ran into was switching coil suppliers when I started having problems getting genuine OEM d585s at anything close to reasonable pricing (real D585 coils retail for $65/each, well beyond what I could afford to buy them at to keep the cost of the kits down). for a while I was supplying 'blem' coils with small surface imperfections but still 100% real d585s and the quality to match. Later when that supply dried up I bought a large batch of coils that turned out to be knock-offs, and had several issues with reliability on those, and have since warrantied all known kits that I shipped with the non-desireable coils.

I now have a good supply of genuine OEM D514A coils that perform as well as the OEM d585s in my tests and have been using those going forward.

I am however considering pulling the plug completely and permanently on the product simply because it has been immensely expensive for me to deal with the returns from the above discussed issues. Its a shame really, since the setup works very well for most setups.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ding

I dont really post here anymore, but saw this post come up and wanted to clear the air. Not interested in spending $400/month in advertising on a website that I abandoned after the forum 'upgrade' anyway.

Quick Reply: 034 H.O coils or DIY LS2? Discuss.....