Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

2 sets of summer and winter tires or 1 set of all-seasons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 sets of summer and winter tires or 1 set of all-seasons?

The summer tires that came with my S6 when I bought it are about done and winter is coming soon. I'm debating about a new set of summer only rubber for next spring and getting another set of rims with hi-perf winter tires for the snowy months to come...or going with a single set of hi-perf all-season tires to use all year round?

My S6 is meant to be primarilly a winter daily driver and for long trips or when I need to carry more than 2 people any time during the year. I have the Corrado for summer fun and track events. However, I like having the right tire for each season with out compromise. When I drove the Corrado year round I switched wheels/tires from summer to winter. Now that I have a summer and winter car I'm not sure I want to spend the extra cash on the S6 to have seasonal wheels/tires. The S6 will only get driven occasionally in the summer months.

If I go all-season I'll get Continental ContiExtremeContact Ultra High Performance All-Season radial.

If I go summer/winter I'll get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 for summer and Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 for winter.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Summer and winter....and track
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

SE Michigan suburbs of Detroit
Old 10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The S6 is fun at the track, but...

the Corrado is much more fun. The AWD of the S6 doesn't quite make up for the extra 1200 lbs it has to lug around with it. The S6 and the Corrado probably have about the same WHP. The weight is the real difference.

Now the Coupe quattro would be the ideal ticket with a 3B or AAN, but that's a bit too much work and money right now. I'm saving to pay for my wedding and buy a house for me and the future wife. Maybe when I get bored of the Corrado I'll build an S2 replica, or in about 10-15 years S2's will be easy to import. After they are 25 years old you can bring almost anything into the US.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:39 AM

Default I lived in the Toledo area

Get dedicated winter wheels and tires (narrow tires - 215s x 16's) and dedicated summer wheels/tires. Even with quattro all seasons not good in midwest ice/snow. Check out the Nokian WRs, blizzak LMs, wintersports ( I had them but didn't care for them) or even Hakkas for dedicated winter.

Chris
95 UrS6
Old 10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hard to justify the added cost...

The summer/winter tires are $165/$124 each respectively. Plus I'd need to pick up a set of wheels for the winter tires.

The all-season tires are only $114 each. Also, I wouldn't have to put up with smaller unsightly wheels during the winter.

Winters aren't too bad here. Most of the time it's only wet. I only drive on heavy snow about 10-15 times a year. That's why I get hi-perf winter tires in the same width as my summer tires. My Fiancee has a 2002 A4 3.0L with the same Continental all-seasons that I would get and it handles the snow very well and is pretty good in the dry. I'll have to get her car away from her so I can do some really spirited driving with it so I can see how they really handle at the limit in the dry. When I do that with her in the car I get a big :-( from her.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The added cost isn't that high

I've had my S6 for about 3 weeks. It came with 17" BBS RX w/summer Dunlop SP9000s.

So far, I've bought:
-Set of 4 used 16" semperit snows ($175 w/volvo steelies)
-Set of 4 used 16" audi steelies ($125, nice shape w/nearly shot blizzaks)
-Set of 4 16" ATP alloys ($100, flaking paint, no tires)

So, even assuming I don't sell the volvo wheels, I'll have a full set of good snows for $300. Probably more like $200 once I sell those and the hubcaps. And I was in a rush so didn't wait around for a really great deal, plus I also wanted 16" in case I do a brake upgrade. I see mounted 15" snows going for $200-$250 all the time. And the alloys will be used as track wheels. Start checking craigslist!
I do live in Boston and do a lot of skiing/boarding so having a snow tank is a high priority. But if you don't get much snow, you can probable get away with all seasons. Nokian makes a great combo winter/all-season tire which sounds perfect for your needs.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what continental tires are those?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default as a fellow SE Michigan resident, I believe it's a must to have 2 sets...

I use the stock 16's with winter tires, and have a set of 17's for summer. I can't allow for all the salt and potholes to waste my 17's... hell, my 17's are still taking a beating, and I only use them from end of April thru October...

Quick Reply: 2 sets of summer and winter tires or 1 set of all-seasons?