Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

after-run pump question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after-run pump question

Hey, I know there are lots of posts on the MFTS and after run pump relay bla bla bla.... but here is the thing... I tested the afterun pump today by pulling the two connectors off the temp sender and bridging them. The pump came on. YAY!! but the fan did not.. just so we're clear.. this is the little electric fan on the pass. side. Is this fan supposed to come when performing this test? like I said, the pump came on and the fan did not. What now?

TIA
Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Someone will correct me if needed but im almost positive the fan switch is a seperate switch on the bottom of the radiator.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Under the hood, just under the windshield on the far left, there is a fuse/relay box. Pull out the 214 relay in the front of that box and jumper the front and rear pins and the fan will come on.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so let me get this str8... ONLY the afterun pump comes on when the temp switch reaches threshold. The fan is connect to yet another sensor and will only come on if radiator temp is high?

Will try the jumper idea thanx alot guys.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...oling.html#fan

I have problem like this before.
and use this check procedure and found Relay No 324 mulfunction.

I sent to elec repare 14 US
Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl..._run_relay.jpg
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audidrvr
Under the hood, just under the windshield on the far left, there is a fuse/relay box. Pull out the 214 relay in the front of that box and jumper the front and rear pins and the fan will come on.
I tried that by I'm afraid now I might be worse off than when I started. I jumped the front and rear pins like you said on the 214 relay that was at the front. but there are 2 214 relays there.. the one in the middle is the one further front.. so thats the one I jumped.. When I did it, nothing came on, then I bridged the connection at the temp sensor and just heard a click and neither the pump nor the fan came on. Think I might have blown a fuse or something. Whenever I try bridging that connection, I just hear a click which, after some investigation comes front the other 214 relay (the one just above).

How can I test the fan only to see if it works? from what I read on sjmautotecknik.com the fan should also come on when AC is on or the engine is hot. Mine NEVER came on during the summer.

TIA
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

turn the AC on. it will always run with the AC on.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default naaa that never worked either

Originally Posted by sk88erguy
turn the AC on. it will always run with the AC on.
I figured as much... but that doesn't work either. When I turn on the AC, fan still does not come on. I think the fan motor is finished or the fuse is blown. I will have to check all the relays and fuses.. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for this fan?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Link to an A6 wiring pdf that should have the answer you are looking for re: fan wiring.

http://www.ziomal.itl.pl/motoryzacja...6_schematy.pdf

Quick Reply: after-run pump question