Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

After some hard driving, my turbo was glowing red... Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After some hard driving, my turbo was glowing red... Is this normal?

I was driving my car pretty hard on the way home today. The temp was 43 degrees and the intercooler was loving it. When I got home, I popped my hood (for no real reason except to look at my engine). It was dark and I noticed that my turbo's exhaust turbine housing and the flange where it connects to the EM were both glowing red. It wasn't very bright, but bright enough for me to notice it with ambient light from the garage door opener. It this normal after 'spirited' driving, or is it a sign that I am running lean? My engine light did come on at about 125mph, but after checking the codes, it was merely an overboost code (caused by running 15psi with custom boost control). It did not hit the fuel cutout as I did not pass 15psi (the limit according to 2B, also, the car did not lurch). Thanks.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes. Its normal.

You should see the RS2 turbo in my rally car after running 20 minutes on track at 1.8 Bar.

Always let your turbo cool off before shutting down the motor. As you can see the turbo glows red hot and if suddenly deprived of its much needed oil which is uses for cooling and lubrication its life is shortened. The high temperatures cook the oil left in the turbo leaving sludge. So oil circulation should be maintained till the turbo cools off.