Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

all season tires ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all season tires ok?

I live in northern michigan, we normally get plenty of snow, but the past few years have sucked. anyway I am used to driving a front wheel drive with all season tires on it, never had any problems, my question is will I feel comfortable in my quattro with all season tires? I learned to drive in the snow, but I keep reading that everyone recommends snow tires. I dont want snow tires, are they really that nessacary?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Jim

Default Sure

If you are used to driving FWD cars in the snow with all-season's and you now have a quattro with the same all-season's, you will be better off. If you go to snow-tires, you will be even better off. But sounds like you'll be fine as is.
On a related subject, there was an article a few years ago in Car and Driver (I think it was C+D anyway) where they compared I think it was a 90q with snowtires vw a FWD 90 with the same snowtires and they found that the quattro actually didn't have much of an advantage in THEIR testing parameters.
Jim
Old 12-09-2003, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default brake Q's

how is stopping in slick conditions with all seasons, will abs kick in more often. would a little bit of lip on the rotors effect the way abs works if pads are not bad?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Snows are better

Obviously.
You can live without snows, but once you run them, you will never want to be without them again...kinda like quattro.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I read a C&D article featuring a TT, where they tested different types of tires..

..and it was determined that the TT equipped with stock 225/45/17 [i believe] summer tires was WORSE OFF than most front-wheel-drive vehicles equipped with M+S/snow tires. When they switched to a decent snow tire, they noticed a marked improvement in traction and control... so their argument was that AWD really doesn't help if you're running the wrong tires. If you get a good set of all-seasons, and drive prudently, you should have no problems.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, all seasons will be adequate...

assuming you are considering one of the "good" all season designs. Had a company car (Taurus) a few years ago that came with Michelin WXR(?) all seasons and they were the worst tires I have ever experienced! Had a few near misses in the rain trying to stop at places were none of my "real" cars (Audis) have ever had a problem with "good" tires of any design.

I do agree that snows are better; pure snows or hybrids like my current favorites - Nokian NRW/WR are so good that you get spoiled.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rotor lip will not adversely affect ABS. But winter conditions will increase ABS use.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree, 110%. All seasons are year 'round compromise. Separate summer/winter = no compromises.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Re: all season tires ok?

Depending on how much or how fast you drive, they can make all the difference. Once you use dedicated snow tires in the white stuff, you will never want anything less. You can purchase a set of high quality snow tires, such as Blizzaks or Artic Alpins, for about $450 to $500 from the tire rack. This includes a steel wheel, so you do not have to screw up your nice alloys. I live in PA and run mine from mid December to the end of February. This will be the third year on the same set. Moral of long story: The added traction and overall control is easily worth the cost.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what do you guys not like about the abs system?

Quick Reply: all season tires ok?