Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Audi dealers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The accessory belt (aka "serpentine belt" is tensioned by the (wait for it...)...

serpentine belt tensioner (SBT). That's the shiny thing to the right of the cam belt cover (standing at the front of the engine). NOTE: DO NOT PLAY with the tensioner when the engine is running. But you can at least touch it and see how it works when the engine is OFF (NOT running). This is a spring loaded tensioner with an idler (smooth) wheel that runs on a bearing.

Similar story to the cam belt idler pulley, except this one is spring loaded. I don't know about replacing the bearing (or not). My SBT broke a year ago. The housing cracked and the clockspring inside ceased to be able to provide the required lever-arm force to the tensioner idle pulley. RESULT: Accessory belt ceases to function. Power steering and power brakes cease to function. AND since there have been cases where a loose serpentine belt has jammed the cam belt causing the engine to cease to rotate and valves getting hit by pistons, I parked the car immediately and had it flat-bedded to the shop. On this basis, I would just replace the whole assembly - why mess with a $10 bearing when metal fatigue could cause your spring housing to fail. Not worth the damage that could be caused to the head. (In my humble opinion).

Dave F.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed

The dealer I *sometimes* go to for service is excellent. The tech I deal with knows everything about the older ones, which he and I both own. Im lucky to have a dealer like this, after hearing horror stories from others. Im an easy going guy, and have a couple cars, so if they say my car is gonna be done one day, but it ends up being a few days after that, it doesnt matter to me. I know they are doing their best, I work on cars, and I know stuff can go wrong, big deal. I give them the respect they deserve, but in the meantime, am still careful about whatever stuff they tell me. I can honestly say that the tech has never told me anything that was wrong with that car, that really wasnt.
Call me lucky, but gladly, I rarely go there anymore for service, I try and do it all myself, which is quite fun

Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turns out I just need a fan bearing