Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

With the body shop topic on the table...Anyone ever replace a rear quarter panel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the body shop topic on the table...Anyone ever replace a rear quarter panel?

They are the same as a C4 100 correct? I want to replace mine and I am not sure how to remove them. I am pretty sure they CAN be removed and not cut out.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm pretty sure the rear QP is part of the unibody structure.............

and has to be cut out and welded back in place.

This is just what I have heard over the years of ownership though, no first hand knowledge.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It may be true that they get welded in, but I know they are seperated parts to start with. They have

part numbers 4A5809601A and 4A5809602B. If they get cut, it in the lower rear door jam and in back by the lower edge of the trunk. Still curious of how to do it.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, they are part of the welded structure. Must be cut off and a new one rewelded on.

Is yours bad (previous body work or rust)?

It is usually better if it can be patched and saved if body shop person is talented. If removed and rewelded, anyone looking under the carpet in the trunk will readily be able to tell.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It would have to be cut away from the door jam, in the trunk at the trunnk floor and

in the back at the rear facia.

Can be complicated, but can be done. Its the resulting finish a lip in the door jamb and with no seam sealer or non-factory looking seam sealer that gives it away.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Previoius body work, the car is a slavage title. Rear ended, they put a whole new rear end on.

I saw pictures of the restore process and I know the shope that did it. The car looked fantastic when I bought it 8 years ago. But the Vermont winters have been rough on it and the rear wheel wells have some rot from the last few years. I'd rather replace than repair. My friend and I are going to be doing the work so I have a bit more flex ability in the way of cost. He has a full body shop and paint booth at his place in Tennessee. He is amazing with autobody, been doing it for 15 years or something. Right now just on the side as a hobby. I have very limited experience so it should be fun and educational. Right now I am collecting parts and supplies.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just cut out the rotted part and leave as much clean OEM sheetmetal as possible
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just figure if I am going to be doing any cutting, I mine as well replace the whole panel.

That way the cuts are in tucked away areas and there's less potential of future porblems on the wheel well. The rot right now is because the edge of the metal got sand blasted and moisture got under the filler they used during the original job. The filler bubbled with rust and flaked off. Looks like *** right now.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like a great learning opportunity that I wish I had....

...Learn all that you can while you can.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Definitly! I have been waiting a long time to do this. I have a collection of parts for the project

and it is getting very exciting! Can't wait for the real work to begin.

Quick Reply: With the body shop topic on the table...Anyone ever replace a rear quarter panel?