Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Brake pedal wont budge

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a hydraulic pump that is operating properly before being concerned with the accumulator (bomb). The bomb does not come into play until you have a pressure source to provide pressure for it to store. The brakes will operate properly without the bomb if the hydraulic pump is providing pressure. You will not have the reserve capacity the bomb provides for rapid successive brake actuation and engine off pressure reserve.

Since the pedal is hard when the pump is operating it is not providing pressure. Hopefully you have checked the reservoir level for hydraulic fluid.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the last attention the hydraulic system got was to change the o ring a few years ago, perhaps the system needs a good cleaning.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
You have missed the point (I think): The power steering pump IS the power brake pump (two separate channels in the same pump).

Fubar = f'cked up beyond all recognition. I term I believe developed during World War II.

You need local to you hands on help. At this point, you will be throwing money at the car, either the ps/pb pump or the bomb. Take your pick and start.
Yea i think it went over my head. Thats what i was wondering and actually thought that it was the same pump, but then i also saw what was called the brake servo and thought they maybe different?

Originally Posted by scarman
If the last attention the hydraulic system got was to change the o ring a few years ago, perhaps the system needs a good cleaning.
Yea the fluid does look kinda gross

Originally Posted by scarman
You need a hydraulic pump that is operating properly before being concerned with the accumulator (bomb). The bomb does not come into play until you have a pressure source to provide pressure for it to store. The brakes will operate properly without the bomb if the hydraulic pump is providing pressure. You will not have the reserve capacity the bomb provides for rapid successive brake actuation and engine off pressure reserve.

Since the pedal is hard when the pump is operating it is not providing pressure. Hopefully you have checked the reservoir level for hydraulic fluid.

Thanks for the clarification. The reservoir loses fluid really quickly. Also, could the filter be clogged? Im gonna start working on it tomorrow to start eliminating possibilities, since speculating different possibilities really wont help until i start working them out.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The brake servo is something entirely different than the PS/PB pump. You should re-read the post I linked you too.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
The brake servo is something entirely different than the PS/PB pump. You should re-read the post I linked you too.
Got it (i think) after re-reading again. On a side note, im losing fluid while the car is off and sitting over night, could this indicate to something?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok so i found the leak. It seems that is not leaking from any hoses or the xplug, rather i can see fluid dripping onto the bottom of the circular pulley infront of the PS pump. Does anyone have experience with this part of the pump leaking? Since i cant see exactly where its dripping from on the pump due to view obstruction, and i can only see where its dripping onto, im just assuming its dripping from the pump itself. I dont see any hoses or anything like that. Does this mean i have to replace the whole pump?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be the seals on the pump. Probably easiest/best to get a rebuilt one. Here is a Power Steering Pump R&R DIY
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, willl have to get started on it tomorrow!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just a quick update/question. I finally got the time to pull it out and i found/didnt realize that there is an xplug on the bottom of the pump as well from where the fluid is leaking from. Technically, cant this be replaced just as the top xplug can be replaced?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, same size, same o ring. As with the top X-plug, be careful that there are no springs or small parts that the plug keeps in place.

This plug seldom leaks.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal wont budge