Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Can someone explain to me why a BOV is bad for a UrS4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so to make a long story short - you all say it's bad, but have never tried it, and argue

amongst yourselves about why it's bad.

The one person who HAS tried it says it works great.

Interesting. =P
Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are still running a MAF, metered air must be kept within the system...

BOV would vent that to atmosphere messing with the Motronic IIRC. Why would you rather a BOV then a BPV if its just for the sound, save your reply.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Which UConn campus are you at?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Haha, welcome to the UrS forum... Stick to the 90/CQ forum with comments like that. =)

It's not the sound I'm after... I was just curious why the people that actually try it find that it works great despite what all of you say about metered air. Which I do understand... logically makes sense. Just strange that results don't match up.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe yes, but thinking by another point of view...

...can you imagine the German engeneers producing a luxurious car like this with a constant phsss-phsss between gears?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Huh?

Hap is not using the Motronic system. No MAF means no loss of metered air. The injector cycle is set by incoming air mass, so...

For those folks running the Motronic ECU, BOV = not good.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default S4-Fireblade is running a BOV with a MAF and says his car pulls better off shifts than w/ BPV

Both a BOV and BPV accomplish the same thing. When the throttle closes and creates a vacuum in the intake manifold that vacuum signal opens the BOV or BPV to keep the the turbo from trying to build pressure against the closed throttle and stalling. With the BOV open it vents to atmosphere. With a BPV open it vents back to the intake side of the turbo and recirculates the air. The turbo sees no resistance and can spin freely with out losing much RPM between shifts.

It also prevents huge pressure spikes in the intake tract when the trottle closes quickly after a high boost pull. The inertia of the turbine keeps it spinning very fast even after the trottle is lifted or closed. The BOV/BPV vents this pressure or recirculates it.

The reason the AAN uses a BPV is because it has a MAF the meters all incoming air. If you vent the boost rather than recirculate it the ECU will cause the car to run rich when ever the BOV is open. S4-Fireblade says his car pulls harder after shifts at WOT, but he is probably running rich and decreasing his MPG at part throttle. I suspect that he is getting better recovery and more power after shifts due to the fact that the intake charge is cooler because vented boost is not recirculated. I am really interested to see his part throttle A/F ratios.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Storrrrrs. (The real one)
Old 09-02-2006, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another factor: Noise. Audi was selling these cars to "refined " burghers (citizens) plus the TUV..

rules would have required no more than a certain dB sound on the street. Hence the quiet exhaust and probably one reason why there is a BPV instead of a BOV. A BOV and its attendant noise on shifting would not have passed the tests back in the day.

Now, who cares, as long as it works?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I am guessing that just tooling around town, part throttle shifts are better with a BPV than a BOV.

However, that is just a guess based on these discussions.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain to me why a BOV is bad for a UrS4?