Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Crap. Need some more axle help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crap. Need some more axle help.

Well, in my previous post, I had asked if the LF and RF axles were the same. I have them side by side now and they are very different lengths.

I tried to find a replacement Passenger side axle, and had even ordered one, only to be told they are out of stock. I checked every parts place I know of and can't find one that is in stock.

I then decided to follow audinutt's advice and take the inner CV joint off of the "spare" driver's side axle that I have and use it. However, when I took the CV off of the bad axle, I found out that it was indeed the axle that was bad. The splines that keep the Joint from spinning on the axle were totally flat...allowing the Joint to spin freely by hand.

Therefore, I'm stuck trying to find another axle...but I can't actually find one anywhere.

Any suggestions? I tried just about every parts place I know of. They are all out...even the ones that say they are in stock are out.

Trying raxles tomorrow, but after that, I can't think of anything other than the dealer $$$$$<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/144637.phtml">Original Post</a></li></ul>
Old 11-21-2006, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YDGM...

Tried your sig and it didn't go for some reason. I'm located in Maryland and have an axle- if you're interested send me an email at s dot mills at comcast dot net.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:51 PM

Used is always an option at the usual places.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. Let me try to souece one from raxles, but if not, I'll probably take you up on that.

here's my e-mail: sholman AT ppg.com

Are you anywhere close to Cumberland? My girlfriend is driving home to Bedford for Thansgiving and going shopping in Cumberland tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Follow-up...is the axle the same as the 100 axle?

I assume not, but one place I found looks to have them in stock, but lumps the S4 with the 100.

It is the CVU brand that is out of stock.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what I'm thinking I may have to do.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

have you tried Raxles.com?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's my last option...they are closed until tomorrow.

No online ordering.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Update...

I did finally find an axle from StopShopandDrive.com. It is the CROWN brand (everyplace else only had CVU). Not really a brand I wanted, but cheaper than dirt ($65 for the whole assembly).

I also talked to the guy from RAXLES and have to say that it was an awesome experience. He was willing part one together for me. He figured out that the shaft and the inner joint are the same as that of a 2000 A6 2.7 MT Quattro. He had one in stock, but once I told him that the splines on my axle were toast, he didn't want to do it since he wouldn't be getting a core back. He spent a lot of time figuring everything out, and I will be going through them for any future axle needs.

Scott
Old 11-22-2006, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What sort of quality boots do they use?

I've done an R&amp;R a month later on a "professional rebuilt" axle before. If it says Made in China on it... Stay away!

Get premium German boots like Lubro Moly or some other German manufacturer.

I'd rather do it myself.

Quick Reply: Crap. Need some more axle help.