Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Gauge Pod options

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
Autometer with backlighting? You sure?

My Defi's are NLA actual gauges, NOT the black-faced ones.
Phantom II is a white gauge face. the numbers light up through a backlight (provided with a white LED, you can install a red one)

lit up
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay. That is a new one on me (I have a Phantom edge lit). Too bad the day time numerals on the Phantom II aren't "black" (dark red-black) instead of the white.

Close but no cigar in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay. That is a new one on me (I have a Phantom edge lit). Too bad the day time numerals on the Phantom II aren't "black" (dark red-black) instead of the white.

Close but no cigar in my opinion.
I was just reading that the LED is not able to be changed and is white only
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I have the Phantom II. I contacted the company to see if I could crack this thing to color the LEDs red. They claim no. I like the back lit feature, and the font is close enough to the Audi font. I haven't given up, just put the project on the back burner. It is not purple like it looks, that is just the extra exposure time.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UrSobsessed
Yeah, I have the Phantom II. I contacted the company to see if I could crack this thing to color the LEDs red. They claim no. I like the back lit feature, and the font is close enough to the Audi font. I haven't given up, just put the project on the back burner. It is not purple like it looks, that is just the extra exposure time.
boo
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The gauges CAN be opened (but it will void any warranty). Method 1 =

gently "stretch" the metal bezel that holds the glass to the gauge body. Start at one point, using something to pry the metal a bit, working your way round and round, prying more and more until the metal bezel comes off. Then when you remove the nut at the threaded fitting, the gauge will come out of the case.

Method 2= cut the case a few mm away from the bezel, easy if plastic (X-Acto plastic model saw) a bit more difficult with metal (fine hacksaw). When you are done, glue the plastic with styrene model glue (no extra sniffing allowed); metal = solder or solder to tack in place and then epoxy around the circumference of the cut (watch the thickness)
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

gently "stretch" the metal bezel that holds the glass to the gauge body. Start at one point, using something to pry the metal a bit, working your way round and round, prying more and more until the metal bezel comes off. Then when you remove the nut at the threaded fitting, the gauge will come out of the case.

Method 2= cut the case a few mm away from the bezel, easy if plastic (X-Acto plastic model saw) a bit more difficult with metal (fine hacksaw). When you are done, glue the plastic with styrene model glue (no extra sniffing allowed); metal = solder or solder to tack in place and then epoxy around the circumference of the cut (watch the thickness)
I'll just keep looking. The Phantom II gauges aren't cheap @ $75