Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Help...problem with boost?? noticed the switch thing has to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...problem with boost?? noticed the switch thing has to do

when i start the car it will give me boost for 1 or 2 hammering but then thats it....today i unpluged the switch at the air filter are to wastegate and no boost from the start i pulled over and re pluged and i had boost for 2-3 times....can that system be removed all together? or is it somethng else....i just got the car its 93 s4..it was fine for a week and just happened now but i know it has something to do with that area<ul><li><a href="http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/97712/jon2222.jpg">http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/97712/jon2222.jpg</a</li></ul>
Old 09-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default You have a boost leak.

Your car is overboosting and going into limp mode. You need to find and fix the leak.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: You have a boost leak.

nope no boost leak its something with the switch thing...can any of that be removed?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Guru

Default Well, gonna need a little more info to help...

You are drawing the wrong conclusion. My guess is "the switch thing" that you are referring to is the Wastegate Frequency Valve. If you unplug it, the car will only make a few pounds of boost (feels like none). Your test proves that the valve is working correctly.

What is happening is that the ECU knows you have a boost leak and it is putting the car into limp mode (no boost for you) after a few pulls. When you shut off and restart the car you get your boost back, right?

You say that you do not have a boost leak. How do you know? Did you pressure test the system? A visual test is almost useless, but if it's all you can do, take off the crossover pipe to intercooler hose and look it over. A hole no larger than your pinky finger can fit into can cause the issue.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Well, gonna need a little more info to help...

well i will check it this time with my pressure testure i made for my corrado g60 supercharged piping....but ya today it had nothing and then would come on for a shot.....its driving me mad..i want the boost back....so i will check for leaks and yes if i disconnect it i have no boost forsure....so what else can it be...i hear the turbo spooiling and on close tb coming back out the cone hehehe sick..
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Well, gonna need a little more info to help...

ok presssure test is done no leaks....re connected all with new clamps etc....i start car hammer it have boost then done....i pull over and restart car i have boost again then off...can that dam switch be delete with its piping or is there more for me to test like by the tb area?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Guru

Default Step away from "the damn switch"

The car is going into limp mode. Something is wrong. How did you pressure test.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Step away from "the damn switch"

I undid the hose from turbo and blocked it off with pipe fitting I have and clamped it and the same on the tb end capped it off and I have a tire valve in the end so I can fill the system...I also blocked the isv hose...so it was a sealed unit filled with 25ish psi air and went with my scope and listened for air leaks or pressure drop....so now what
Old 09-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Guru

That sounds good. Have you pulled any codes from the ECU?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: That sounds good. Have you pulled any codes from the ECU?

no i dont have scan tool..so i take it nothing can be removed from system?
i love to gut stuff out and make the engine bay more clean....like to leave ac....

any sensors i can check with meter?

Quick Reply: Help...problem with boost?? noticed the switch thing has to do