Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Hood Realease Cable Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Realease Cable Issue

Hey guys, So I am having an issue with he hood release mechanism. It appears as though I am missing a piece needed to release the right portion of the hood. When the cable pulls on the pins, the left side slides over correctly, but the right side does not. It seems like another owner used a metal wire to temporarily hold the pin out of the way so that the hood did not stick shut. I removed this, and the hood lock pin stays in place, but will not slide over when the release cable is pulled. I am attaching a picture to show what I mean. Can you guys pinpoint what I am missing and possibly provide a diagram? If I leave it with the old "fix" the hood just wobbles and wont close on the right side.

You can see the correct side in the pictures where the latch is working and blocking the hole. The right side is being held out of the way by that strange gold wire so that the hood doesn't lock. When I removed it, the pin went back into the corect place, but does not move when the hood release cable is pulled. I cant seem to get how the right pin is supposed to pull towards the center of the car, when the hood release cable pulls in the opposite direction. I am guessing that some extra piece is missing. Im sure I am not using the right terminology for these parts, but please bear with me.
Attached Images      
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Judging by the angle of the cable, you are missing the Item 25 clips that keep the hood release cable tight to the rad support (aka "lock carrier"). With those clips missing, there is too much slack in the cable to let it work properly.

More hood release info