Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

I hate my Bilstein HD's and need some shock/spring advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my Bilstein HD's and need some shock/spring advice.

In my avant I have stock springs and new Boge shocks, it rides fabulous and is perfect for traveling long distances which is what we plan on using it for. My sedan on the other hand has HD bilsteins and stock springs and to me it rides like it has 80psi in the tires and the ride height is way higher than the avant. The ride does not bother me on the highway but it is annoying around town Here are my options as I see them.
1. Get really lucky and find some 92 springs that are rust free for two bills or so and use those and some Boges since I care more about ride quality than firmness. Downside, it could take some time to find springs.
2. Pay $750.00 ouch - 25% for new Audi 92 springs and use the same Boges as option number one.
3. Buy some new HR sport springs for $250.00 and put some Bilstein sports on it, would it ride any better or would it still be harsh? I sure know it would look better =). What about HR sport springs and Boge's, has anyone every tried it or is it totally retarded. =) TIA for any suggestions.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am in a similar situation as you. While I love the ride height of the Bilstein/Eibach setup, the

harshness of the ride is killing me. I am about to experiment with stock springs and Bilstein sports or Eibach and Boges. I will find out in about 6 weeks which I like better. BTW you tried that Audi cleaner yet?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think H&R with Bils would be too harsh for you Carl but you can ride in mine and see.

Euro sport (S6+) springs might be the way for you. Swing by my house after work. I can't seem free myself up during lunchtime to visit you at the shop.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh, and here I was thinking i was just getting old =)

I had not driven my sedan/Bilsteins for about a month and had been driving the wagon/stock. I had really gotten used to the rough ride in the sedan and now going back to it I really don't like it. Hell, if it rode like that when it was new no one would have bought it *=/. Thanks for the Audi Leather conditioner. I have not had a chance to try it but hopefully I can try it this week. Oh, and the hat too, gracias. =)
Old 03-11-2007, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Looking to lower my S6 as well. Currently riding on new stock springs and Konis.

Ride is great, compliant yet controlled, but the damn car looks like an American Motors Eagle. Two buddies have H & R's and Konis. Both sit low in the rear, probably need the 13mm spacers. Both are a little harsh on the ride. If the euro s6+ springs seem like the way to go, let me know the particulars. I'd be interested in getting hooked up.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thats what I am afraid of.

But Eibachs are unavailable, New 92 springs are muy bueno, used 92 springs in good shape are hard to come by and HR's are plentiful and inexpensive. So is it the HR's that is making the ride on the harsh side or the Bilsteins, hmmmm? S6+ springs? Where? =)
Old 03-11-2007, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thats what I am afraid of.

The owner of Redmond Wershop has H&R with Boges and he said it rides fine. I've been meaning to ask him for a ride though but never had the chance as I would love to find out.. I know my **** is not young anymore. heheheh.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What about S6+ springs? They are around $550 last time I checked.

That was from Europrice. Maybe VAG Parts in the UK can get them?

I assume you have tried all options to find 92-spec springs, such as Force 5.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Alvin, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. =)

I was hoping I would'nt be the guinea pig trying H&R and Boges. I just got a set of HR's off of Ebay for $235/free shipping. Now I just have to beat up Norm at Worldpac on a set of Boges. It will be interesting to see how it rides. =)
Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Please check out Alvin's ride and report back.

Quick Reply: I hate my Bilstein HD's and need some shock/spring advice.