Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

I just replaced engine mounts. Results can be resumed in one word: WOW!!! Read on if you suffer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just replaced engine mounts. Results can be resumed in one word: WOW!!! Read on if you suffer

with vibrations coming from engine/transmission.

It has become a rule for me to search the forum before going for any improvement or to diagnose any problem. Recently I noticed an increasing level of vibration, present with a/c off but much worse with a/c on. I checked the engine mounts and they were busted. I made a quick trip to the store (which in my case meant to travel 9 hours in a 747 to get to Miami)and got new engine mounts, a snub mount from APR and other minor goodies (no, I did not make the trip just to get the parts!). What matters is that the improvement was unbelievable - the car is smooth as vanilla ice cream from McD. It changed the character of the car so much that I suspect I bought the car with lots of vibration already. Even the shifter feels like something else, much firmer, crisp shifts. Car now can be tossed around as I please (thanks to the recently installed H&R's and Bilsteins, mostly) but the point is that I had no positive feedback driving hard, especially on high speed turns. Another thing that was fixed was the exhaust. It was too low, actually bent somewhere. I had it removed and put in the correct position, so can can now venture taking speedbumps straight on, without having to do it one wheel at a time as I used to. I was going to call my mechanic an ask if he did something else to the car since it is drinking 17 l/100km instead of the 15 or 14 I would get earlier. Then I realized there was nothing wrong with the car, but with my foot! THe car feels so much better that I drive it flat out (not in 5th or 6th gear, unfortunatelly) around town, just to feel the creamy engine and test the boundaries of grip from my new suspension setup. Life is good (and I already forgot how much money I put into the S6!!)
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you do the mounts ? Did you try the jack-up-engine block method ?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nop. A friend of mine has a rig that is installed on top of the engine bay and pulls the engine up.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I know what you mean. Did it while the Tranny & Drivershaft were connected ?

Where did you hook on the front of the engine ?<ul><li><a href="http://store.yahoo.com/bradystools/ensupbartran.html">Traverse Support Bar</a></li></ul>
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

You got it, looks like that support bar. I was not there but think driveshaft was not disconnected.