Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

If I was having a coil problem and I lost a cylinder would the turbo be working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was having a coil problem and I lost a cylinder would the turbo be working properly?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sort of, if you consider running on 4 cylinders instead of 5 "properly". The turbo will still ....

be spun by the exhaust gases. Its just that there are less of them and you are bleeding fuel onto the catalytic converter.

Hmmmm... This could be a reason why some people are failing "Air Care" (or equivalent). Bad coil.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Default I'm telling you though, if you lost a cylinder because of a coil, you WILL know.

As in, the loss of serious power.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had the same problem....

when I bought the car - only running on 4 cylinders, one coil was gone. The idle was a little rough. The stick shift vibrated slightly. The car seemed like it lugged a little below 3000, but then the turbo would kick in and boom...

after fixing the coil the car does not seem like it lugs below 3000 and well above 3000 ) and that's without software
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you really know you've lost a cylinder. Disconnect that fuel injector until you can get to....

somewhere to part or fix the car. Otherwise you a running raw fuel through that cylinder, washing the oil off the walls and exposing the cats to a lot of unburned fuel (not good - will kill them sooner than later).
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's completly wrong and will lead that cilinder's valves and piston rings to death!

NEVER DO THAT in any circunstance!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay. Don't do it and replace your burnt out cats. Why are you saying its wrong?

I didn't mean to drive around like that for days and weeks. I meant minutes until you can get somewhere to service the car.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can't run the engine without fuel in the cilinders- never

Cats will hold up much better than the engine internals. Even if they go down, they're much cheaper and easy to replace
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I disagree. How do you think Chrysler and others are doing displacement on demand, etc. See URL.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.carpages.ca/go/autonews/04192006,cylinder_deactivation_another_technology_ for_reducing_fuel_consumption.aspx">http://www.carpages.ca/go/autonews/04192006,cylinder_deactivation_another_technology_ for_reducing_fuel_consumpti
Old 09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dave,

I really like you and you are a precious help here among us, but now you are advising him something that can blow his engine. I believe that in a near future the engines will work with water as fuel, but for now we must stick with what we have- the reallity. And the reallity is:
any engine wich is made to work with gasoline will need a certain amount of it along the rev range to work propperly and to have releability. Of course some manufacturers developed thecnics to save fuel, but to do that they just don't "cut of" the fuel on
this or that cilinder, the engine must be HEAVILLY ALTERED to allow this kind of condition. Listen, if you ever have the chance to disassemble a broken engine due to a lean condition then you will understand... In the meanwhile please read the article again and PLEASE don't advise that procedure to no one. Article: "but while Chrysler and GM use solenoids to activate specially designed lifters which prevent the valves from opening, Honda makes use of its sophisticated i-VTEC variable valve control system to stop the valves from opening. Either way, the end result is that a varying number of cylinders deactivate in a staggered formation"

Quick Reply: If I was having a coil problem and I lost a cylinder would the turbo be working properly?