Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

I'm an idiot - On a trip and I've killed the S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm an idiot - On a trip and I've killed the S6

Left Charlotte yesterday and "check engine" light came on as I merged on highway. Pulled off immediately, pulled into parking lot as light went off. So popped hood and everything looked okay. Didnt want to cut car off there, or drive 200 miles, so drove 3 miles back to house to blink codes - got 2413

2413 (Blink Fault Code), 00561 VAG1551/2 Fault Code Number
Mixture Adjustment, Adaptation limit exceeded, Adaptation limit not reached, Leakage in exhaust system
before 3 Way catalytic converters, Incorrect signal for Mass Air Flow Sensor, Spark plugs, ignition
coil(s), or Ignition Coil Power output stage malfunctioning. Symptom: Rich mixture, increased fuel consumption

I figured it was okay to drive 200 miles. Didnt cut car off during trip, it drove normal, but stopped at friends house in Charleston and now its dead. It cranks but wont fire up. Only got 17mpg on trip here. My first guess is either fuel pump or cam position sensor. Can a bad O2 sensor cause car not to start? I've been having boost hesitation issues for a year+. I'm stock with Hoppen stage 1+. New plugs in Dec made car drive great for 2 days, then more hesitation.

Guess I should have backed out of the trip. Going to start by checking Dave's thread on why S6 wont start.
Hope I'm capable of fixing whatever... Will update...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oops. Probably the fuel pump. Might be the G40 cam sensor but it would(should) have thrown a 2113 code.

Fuel pump is 8A0906091G

How to test and replace fuel pump is:
http://12v.org/urs/FuelPumpTestingan...dures_Rev2.pdf

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Dave, so good chance its the fuel pump. Okay, even though I'm out of town that shouldn't be the end of the world. I'm tempted to just roll the dice and order it, without testing. I've kinda been thinking my boost hesitation could be the fuel pump too, since I've replaced hoses/ignition stuff.

Great link, I'm reading it now. At Fap99 I see a black Bosch for $125, and a silver Siemans/VDO for $166. Both cheaper than the $200+ at Genuine Audi Parts. Unless it matters I'll order the black Bosch asap.

Your step by step looks terrific, and I have some tools with me. I can get a gas container and syphon out gas. The S6 broke down 10 miles away from where I am staying, but there's a Lowes near it for tools and stuff. I'll be working on the side of a neighborhood street. Wish I could get it to the house where I am, oh well. I guess it could start, I'll try at least when I'm back over there.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Be aware that the Bosch has different connectors and it forces you to cut and splice in their special (but very nice) connectors.

Whereas, the VDO/Siemens is the OE supplier and the terminals will very likely be the same (two different sizes so you can't muck it up).

Remember to take the shipping cap off the bottom and install the old screen from the old pump.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a helpful tip Dave, thanks for knowing that. I'll get the more familiar silver VDO/Siemens ordered
asap, just afraid MLK might cost me a day. I'm tempted to order a CPS and a FP relay as well, just in case.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just located the Bosch version here locally, and they'll have it by 2pm today for $169. So as much as I'd prefer the Siemens
version, I decided its not worth waiting until Thursday to get one. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the electrical fittings
without blowing up the Audi. I can get a wire crimping kit or something at Lowes if need be. Just glad I can get to
working on it now and possibly have it fixed by today or tomorrow if things go smoothly. Cheers for all the help here.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is simple wiring, nothing to get concerned about. The OEM has ring terminals and the Bosch uses spade terminals.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by scarman
It is simple wiring, nothing to get concerned about. The OEM has ring terminals and the Bosch uses spade terminals.
"Special" spade terminals (in a Bosch-supplied connector housing)

Hard to go backwards to VDO/Siemens, Pierburg, etc. (I am sure that was Bosch's plan)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay. Sounds like I might have to remover the original wire ends and change them to fit the Bosch (parts supplied). So if I do this again in 100k miles, get another Bosch fuel pump, or be prepared to cut and splice rings back on. I guess a concern was getting the "+" and "-" correct after making this change. More than likely that's still easy to figure out. Also, the gas fittings on the Bosch look a bit different than the Siemens in the Fap99 pictures, but perhaps not enough to matter.

I found a couple clean red marine gas containers for the siphoning. I just put a new fuel filter in ~5,000 miles ago, so I plan to just have a towel around things as I losen and release any pressure. Getting this part today locally gives me some breathing room to tackle another fix this week, if by chance a new fuel pump doesn't solve my problem. A bonus is, a new fuel pump might solve the boost hesitation issue I've been trying to fix, and that would make all this a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by GoHeels; 01-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took a picture of the pump on the way down here for a buddy in NC, where the tax is double and makes gas ~.20c a gallon more.
Ironically I should have stopped the pump at that point
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot - On a trip and I've killed the S6