Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

It's finally time to chip the car, I'm thinking MRC 91 octane tune but I'm suffering info overload

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's finally time to chip the car, I'm thinking MRC 91 octane tune but I'm suffering info overload

There's way too much to read on these forums about chips. I'll read about one guy deciding on one brand of chip and think that maybe it's a good choice for me too. Then a few minutes later I'll discover another post from the guy months later where he changes his chip to something else because he didn't like the first one. It's hard to put all the info together. I've seen lots of people say "MRC runs rich", but then I've also seen lots of people say "I get higher mileage with MRC and I passed my smog test without problems". So what is it?

The most important thing I'm looking for in a chip is that I can run the car on the crappy 91 octane fuel that is available here in Canada without pinging or damage to the engine. I've heard MTM+1 pings badly, but MRC offers a custom 91 octane tune to prevent this. This is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards MRC. But I also love a hard hit of torque when I want it, and apparently that's what MTM+1 provides, right? And then there's Intended Acceleration, which I don't know much about but apparently it's also a good choice.

I'm focusing my research on the tried and proven chips, so I'd like to avoid the 034 solution at this time (which is fairly new).

Input? I suppose what I need is just a few people to confirm that a 91 octane MRC chip is a good choice, or if there are comparable alternatives I'd love to hear about them too. And I won't need a 1.9 bar spring for the wastegate just yet, it's something I can add later if I find my car is having trouble holding boost, correct?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default My thoughts...

I had issues with my MRC tune. As far as rich/mileage, I think that has a lot do with how you drive the car.

I ran the MTM chip too. I loved it at first, but got tired of trying to modulate it; that chip throws everything but the kitchen sink at you when you get on the throttle. This seems like fun at first, but it is hard to drive the car "normally" without being super careful with the throttle.

In the end, I went to IA. Good margin of safety, nice power, and linear throttle modulation. Just as fast as MTM, but the driver controls the power with his right foot rather than trying to reign in the ECU.

I had an IA chip in my 200 20v: loved it.
I finally went to a full RS2 chip in my urS: loved it.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My thoughts...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/222725.phtml">$100 discount from IA</a></li></ul>
Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 AM

Default As of 2 week ago im running mtm+1 chip with the Wagner HO manifold and stromung gen 4...

and I couldn't be happier. I am still amazed at how much quicker it is. I dont have much to compare it to but the car has been absolutely transformed. It runs great. Im in Colorado so I had Dave Jones put it on, he said with the extra flow of the wagner manifold ("which he said is a very nice piece" and the first one he put on)it really helped the MTM+1 feel more linear as apposed to the "on/off" feel everyones describes. I have only heard of good things about the MRC,IA, and Pastor chips but someone wise once told me "if you need brain surgery you dont just go to any brain surgeon, you go to the best" then I was instructed to go with MTM, and so I did. So far im a very happy camper. I dont know if this helps your decision but thats my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My only drivability complaint with MTM is...

that the throttle is hard to modulate when going up a long, steep hill (like going west and up out of Cambridge on Rt. 2). At 75-80 MPH there is about 1mm of toe movement between more-boost-go-faster and no-boost-slow-down.

Other than that I don't find it difficult to modulate. But I wouldn't run it on 91 or with the stock fuel pump.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my MTM1+ was tamed by the FMIC....way smoother than before
Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Contact Mark Swanson, swap out ECU for programmable VEMS

Then you can make any changes you want!

IT won't cost much more than buying a chipset
and vmap from a tuner, and you can tune it
the way you want with your pc.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$1400+ vs about $500 to $750 = about the same?? Wow.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think he means the 034 chip tuning packages @ $1000

to be fair though, those include injectors.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But for $1400, you aren't supplying injectors. (BTW: this for somebody going from stock to Stage 1)

Quick Reply: It's finally time to chip the car, I'm thinking MRC 91 octane tune but I'm suffering info overload