Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Lost key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost key fob

hey guys - new here and i apologize for this topic as i am sure it has been asked 1,000 times. I have a 2018 sq5 and i only have one key. the dealer says $650 all up. i'd prefer not to go through a huge hassle to get one. anybody have knowledge on this?

thanks,
scot
Old 06-15-2021, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same situation here, i found used fobs on ebay but not sure how to reprogram or if dealer would reprogram it to match my original fob. i only need to use receiver so i dont mind the blade not working.
any insight on this appreciated.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Unfortunately - the dealer, or someone with the appropriate tools - is required to “program” a new key into the auto’s system…. 😏
The following users liked this post:
RCPrato (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Programming a new key so the immobilizer recognizes it and will authorize the ECU to start the vehicle is something only the dealer can do and is a big PIA but at same time prevents a thief from cloning a key in a parking garage or your driveway to steal your car.

When getting a new key made the service department needs to verify your identity and if it doesn't match the owner info on file they can't make you a new key, if you are the registered owner in their database there is a process technician can do to program up to 3 keys (fobs) to work with your vehicles ECU. My recommendation is to buy the new fobs from the dealer doing the programming so if for any reason the new fobs can't be programmed they can't blame it on your ebay fobs.

When this programming is done by your Audi service tech they have to send a request to the Audi mothership with the required info provided, if everything matches they send back an encrypted message that the tech needs to start the fob reprogramming. They can't match a new key to the current code recognized by the ECU to start the car and need to program old key and up to 3 keys total with new procedure.

I had this done a couple of times with VW's I owned, bought used and only came with one key so for my own insurance had additional keys made just in case needed one at a later date. I had a good relationship with this VW dealer so I could either buy OEM VW keys through their parts department with my frequent customer discount (about 10%) or I could buy OEM VW key from an online VW OEM parts source like www.VWVortex.com, they would then charge me $150 for the programming, didn't matter if it was 1,2 or 3 keys. Said it took a little over an hour for tech to do this job.

This whole new key scenario is definitely expensive and not customer friendly but it keeps my $60K+ SQ5 from being a target for auto thieves looking to steal a nice car. Look at places like www.audiusaparts.com to see what a new fob would cost with them including shipping and get a cost breakdown from your Audi service provider for this work. If they are charging more than 30% premium for the key fob and more than 2 hours of Labor for programming ask them to explain their quote, it is your right to know how they are costing out a job and questioning it as long as you understand what the job entails.

FWIW most Audi parts department charge walk up customers up to 30% over MSRP you will see at www.audiusaparts.com and the service department will cost parts out on the work order at this same 30% over MSRP, how they make $$. When I went to local Audi dealer to get parts I needed for my previous B8 A4 (my first Audi) I had looked up the parts online first and when parts counter guy told me the price I asked why is your price over MSRP, young kid didn't know why so the parts department manager came out and told me it was for the "convenience" of being able to walk up to the counter and buy genuine Audi OEM parts. After a few minutes of me diffusing his statement I can know buy parts at this Audi Dealer for the MSRP you see online.

Last edited by RCPrato; 06-30-2021 at 04:17 AM.