Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

MTM Stage 1+ ECU Installed - Developed Miss

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTM Stage 1+ ECU Installed - Developed Miss

I purchased the chipped ECU that was posted here last week (Thanks Evan!) and got around to installing it today. I noticed immediately that even reversing out of the garage/driveway it didn't feel smooth. Once I started to take off on the street as soon as I started to get on the gas and the boost gauge would come out of vacuum (as soon as it was about to move past the 0 mark) the car just started to run horrible. It seemed as though if I could get the car moving up beyond 3000 RPM without going into boost, I could get on it (at least in second gear) and it was a little smoother but definitely still missing. I thought I might have a boost leak at first but plugged in my original ECU and it ran fine up to 20 pounds of boost. I did notice though that at peak boost on my old ECU the needle seemed to flutter around, as opposed to staying right on a particular point on the gauge. Is that normal or is that an indication as well of a bad coil/POS?

My only confusion is that I thought typically a bad coil/POS was noticeable at high levels of boost. Is the MTM Stage 1+ software so aggressive in terms of boost levels even at lower RPM that it could make a bad coil/POS noticeable so low in the power band?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You shouldn't see any difference at low boost levels unless something else just faile

It's possible the chipped ECU has a failing or failed ignition chip. It's an increasingly common failure as these cars age.

I'd swap your ECU back in first and see if that eliminates the miss, just in case a POS just happened to go south. If that eliminates the miss, then get the chips swapped into your stock ECU.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did swap my stock ECU back in and the car ran fine.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The boost control solenoid causes the boost to flutter like that so yes its normal. Maybe your car has bigger injectors? Or a different fuel pressure regulator? Cause the mtm one is designed to run on stock stuff I thought.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Integra 26R
The boost control solenoid causes the boost to flutter like that so yes its normal. Maybe your car has bigger injectors? Or a different fuel pressure regulator? Cause the mtm one is designed to run on stock stuff I thought.
I'll just reply to you here. It's not throwing any codes. Do you recall offhand if the chips were socketed or soldered?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Socketed. Also, I don't think it would make a difference at low rpms, but I thought I read that the mtm ecu is suppose to run on 94 octane.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just popped it open, looks soldered to me? I do have 94 octane in my tank now so I don't think that would be an issue.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its been awhile since I looked so maybe I'm wrong. How annoying that it isn't working.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I presume that you give refunds.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks soldered to me. This bargain ECU might not have been such a good deal. It's probably better to advertise suspect parts in the classified rather than the forum for everyone to see.

Quick Reply: MTM Stage 1+ ECU Installed - Developed Miss