Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

My car is killing me !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is killing me !!!

After spending MUCHO $$$ Fixing her up she has now decided to start hesitating on me. This only happeneds sometimes. It will start missing from idle all the way up to WOT. My engine seems to take a while to heat up( about 10 mins to reach 80 on the temp gauge). Could this problem be do to a stuck open thermostat? My guess is a bad coil or bad plugs. I really need a hug here guys b/c I've almost had it with this car and if it cost me more$$$ then I'm gonna kick it to the curb!!! FRIG@#!!^!!!!

Thanks.....Al
Old 09-28-2005, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like it's more than just plugs.

When my car had a hesitation, idle was fine and the engine seemed normal till about 3k RPM when the boost starts coming on strong--the engine would buck and hesitate.

5 new spark plugs fixed it. I got 5 new plug boots too, but never installed them.

For you, sounds like the problem is somewhere else since you hesitate all the time. POS?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sounds like it's more than just plugs.

wanna get rid of the 2 new boots?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chill grasshopper, chill. Deep breaths. Your car is old, things are failing. You need...

to calmly sort out the problems. Here is my list for you:

1. Find out (STFA and the Tech Section here) how to use the climate control head to check the coolant temp. If the coolant temp is down on the gauge and down on the climate control readout (Channel 51), then your thermostat is stuck open. If the gauge is down but the climate control temp is fine (89 deg C), then its the multifunction temp switch. (Check Scott Mockry's SJM Autotechnik website for details). Replace whatever isn't working correctly and retest. If you still have the problem, continue below:

2. If plugs aren't new, replace them. F5DP0R Bosch. 22 lb-ft torque. Install and try again. If problem isn't gone, continue.

3. If coil to plug connectors aren't new, replace them (PN 034 905 447) Bimmerparts, FAP99, PartsConnection. Should be about US$5 each for OEM Beru. If problem isn't gone, continue.

4. If you still have the problem, its likely either the Power Output Stage (POS) or the Coils. Test the POS at idle by pulling injector connections one by one to check which cylinder it is. Then swap the two sets of POS connectors and retest with the injector pulling technique. If the missing cylinder was initially 3, it should be fine now. Stop. If it was any other cylinder, then you need to swap wires and use the spare channel on the N127 (cylinder 4 and 5) POS. STFA. I (and others) recently posted info about the POS. Swam wires as requried and retest. If you still have the problem, then it is likely a coil.

5. To test the coils, you need to have a variable gap coil tester (JC Whitney style). Remove the coil pack. Disconnect all the injectors and test the coils (having a friend turning the ignition key), one at a time. Replace the coil(s) with the weak spark. You should be golden after this. IF not, you really do have a problem - injectors, ECU, etc. Consider selling the car.

But in the meantime, calm down, these are NOT EASY cars. If you want an easy car, buy a Toyota Corrola.

Dave F.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.

I plan on keeping the car for a while and I'm bound to need them eventually.

Plus they're only $10 ea. I don't wanna mess with shipping.