Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

need some help/advices on finding a problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some help/advices on finding a problem

Recently I was forced to go over a road covered with car debris of an accident and I got a piece of glass to puncture one of my tires. Since I saw this only when arrived at home (less than 2km) and that the tire was not completely flat when I got home, I doubt this has any influence on the source of the problem but it may, that's why I told it.

Since then (after having the tire "repaired") I am getting a sound from the rear driver side wheel (the one that had the blowout) which is dependent of speed and disappears when I am accelerating or when I turn right (less weight on this wheel). The sound is not disappearing when I brake.

The wheel bolts are well torqued (about 90lbs/ft) and all drive shaft boots were in good shape 1-2 week ago. Last repair done to the car in the back was the installation of new handbrake cables. Since I own the car for about 1-2 month now, I don't have much more information on the state of the parts (bearings, drive shaft joints etc).

Does anyone experienced something like this or has an idea what it may be?

Sorry if my sentences are weird, I am used to speak French.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tire was removed from the wheel, it needs to be balanced again.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sounds like a wheel bearing. The added stress of the flat tire may have been enough....

to make an "about to fail," bearing turn into a starting to make noise failed bearing.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey, Mac, are you from Quebec? Me, too.

Sounds like a bearing...
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Hey, Mac, are you from Quebec? Me, too.

Yes I am from Quebec, on the south shore of Montreal and I bought my S4 near you at St-Adèle. If you have seen a S4 with the front bumper broken just in front of the oil cooler, it's mine and I still haven't found a decent bumper. BTW I guess you run your S4 in winter since the MGB must be stored? It could be nice to meet somewhere

I'll have a look at the wheel bearing if I have the time later on. At least on the S4 I think the wheel cannot decide to leave the car as it can on many FWD volkswagens with drums!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: If the tire was removed from the wheel, it needs to be balanced again.

It was not removed, the repair was a "rope" glued in the hole... kinda cheap but it's temporary as I have a set of brand new Nokian Hakkapeliitta5 on '00 S4 mags to install!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default swap the wheel with one that is quiet. if the noise is still there you can eliminate the wheel

if noise moves you know it's the wheel
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Try editing the subject line to create a short answer or start a longer one. Makes this forum work

better.

ou "Essayez d'éditer la ligne sujet pour créer une réponse courte ou pour commencer plus long. Rend ce travail de forum meilleur."
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I,ll put you on my list, so the next time we have a GTG, you can be there.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

YGM (you got mail)

Quick Reply: need some help/advices on finding a problem