Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

OMG help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG help!!!

so today on my way to school i noticed a ticking sound from the car, sounds like lifters or something in that area, the oil change i do on a regular bases and its due for one soon but its only been like 4300 kms on the past oil change so i doubt its oil related issue. anyone ever ran into something like this and if so what are possible causes

thank you again i really dont want anything to happen to my baby
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OMG!! WE NEED MORE INFO!!!

Seriously, you need to tell us where you think the ticking is coming from. Obviously it could be the hydraulic lifers but it could also be the Power Steering/Power Brake pump that contains both a vane pump for the PS side and a piston pump for the brake side. The piston pump could give you a knocking sound.

A piece of wood, a long screw driver or a mechanics stethascope held to the cam cover and then the PS/PB pump and your ear will help to track the problem area down.

Do that and then come back. Without more info, we can't help you.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default OMG!!!! thank you for the sarcasim!!!

thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

ill try that after school
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sanadrustom
thanks
You're welcome.

And by the way, it's just "sarcasm" (no "i")

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 02-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

i must be a nub, the car apparently is going through oil somehow cause it was bone dry, fixed the knocking problem and all is good now.

While i was doing that i noticed a coolant leak from the hose right under the intake manifold, it was about 7 inches long and it ripped right off as i tugged on it ever so lightly. so i took up that job last night as i needed the car to be up and running for school in the morning and i got it all fixed, truth be told i neglected the car since i started school and i knew about this hose for a while but just kept pushing it aside....anyways long story short its fixed and i'm putting an order from 034 for their coolant hose kit and that will be a project along side the coils that need to be replaced as well

thank you for all the help and ill be back for more help i'm sure :P
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sanadrustom
i must be a nub, the car apparently is going through oil somehow cause it was bone dry, fixed the knocking problem and all is good now.
Yep, you're Noobie "nub". You HAVE to check your oil at least weekly. Jeesh.

Hopefully you didn't do any permanent damage to the engine.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Checking for oil and power steering leaks: just another important service provided by my garage floor...
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen any traffic from you about coil problems. This is a major repair in terms of cost and effort, even if you go with one of the kits for different coils. There is a lot of information available about coil pack repairs that you should read for the experience of others before you jump in.

The coolant return hose has been the subject of many forum posts, much of it about the necessity of using the genuine Audi part for replacement. This hose seems to cook in about 10 years requiring replacement. The other coolant hoses are good for 20+ years for most owners. If you are headed for the 034 silicone coolant kit, I think you are wasting your money and time and will create as many problems as you cure. There are specific areas that are prone to leak that you should spend your time and money on, namely the plastic adapters at the back of the block that feed the heater hose and "t" for the climate control temp sensor, along with the thermostat housing. You should look for any leaks around the electric aux coolant pump housing also. These items will keep you busy and your wallet empty replacing these parts that have failed on most cars already. You don't need to be looking for any fancy items to spend your money on until these items are taken care of, (and they are not in the 034 kit).
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you spend all your money on a coil kit, you need to find out where all that oil is going; Whether it is coating your engine bay from leaks or burning it, you need to know and make repairs.

Quick Reply: OMG help!!!