Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Parking brake seized up overnight

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake seized up overnight

The weather dipped down to something like 10 degrees Fahrenheit last night, so I went out extra early to start the S4 and give it a good 10 minutes or so to warm up. I scrape the ice from the windows, brush off a light coat of snow and walk around the car to perform a cursory inspection of the tires, lights, etc. Everything looks O.K., the car is warmed up, and I start backing down the driveway.... only, the car doesn't seem to be yielding to gravity as it usually does. Something is definitely wrong. It doesn't take more than a couple of seconds before I realize I probably have a seized parking brake.

I searched through the archive and also found the UrS4.com article on repairing this problem... but I thought I'd ask the AW forum whether or not the cold weather could have contributed to this incident. It rained last night before the temperature dipped, so I suppose moisture could've entered the cam area and froze up overnight... right? Well, whatever the case, I didn't have the time or means to tackle the problem this morning, but I'm going to try to either repair it myself tonight or have my Audi tech friend straighten things out.
Assuming this excess friction doesn't ruin my rear rotors and pads, should this be as simple as cleaning the parking brake cam.. and possibly replacing the cable, if it's sticking?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Parking brake seized up overnight

This happened to me on two other audis I've owned. Over time, the boots on the parking brake cables lose their ability to keep water out. When it freezes w/the brake applied it stays applied until it thaws. You could thaw it with a heat gun or a hair dryer. Until the cables are replaced, leave the car in gear when parked. mb
Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks, mb

I actually did park it in gear when I got to work this morning, as an additional precautionary measure.

I'll go ahead and order new cables today. In the meantime, I'll try to thaw out the existing cables this evening and clean up the parking brake cam shaft.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just did my cables the other night, order the 2 clips that lock in the cable under the stick shift

mine were so rusted up they broke pulling them out.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default how hard are the cables to install

mine need replacement
Old 12-20-2004, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My car has no driveline installed at this time. Center shaft is out no exhaust on etc..

So it was pretty much a piece of cake for me. Just soak the 10mm locking nut with P/B catalyst and let it soak in. While you're ordering the cable order the 2 lock washers, I broke one doing the install and now have to wait til they come in to finish the job.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default got pics?

what are u doing with the driveline out, a partial restoration?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default total restoration. No motor in the car, sanded the car down to metal, pulled the interior out

There isn't on part of the car that I haven't touched. I'll try and load up some pics soon. The car has 197,700 on it, so it was a good time to do everything in one shot. In March the car will be off the road for one year
Old 12-21-2004, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow...

sounds like quite a job! I'd like to get a beater and do a partial resto on my car, such as dropping the whole suspension out of the car and replacing all the worn stuff, clutch, flywheel, etc...
Old 12-21-2004, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

What were the part numbers for the washer and clips. I'm going to be replacing mine shortly.

Quick Reply: Parking brake seized up overnight