Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

S4 vs. RSX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S4 vs. RSX Type S

Those things are pretty light and quick as I got to play with one. We got it going at a stoplight with some kid driving it and there was four of us in the car..

First light turned green we both gunned it and he hung with me and i started to pull away in third but not a lot since we were approaching the next light.

We got to the 2nd light and it was pretty clear ahead of us so I figured i'd go for it again.. I rolled my window down and asked him if it was the Type - S and what else he's got under the hood besides his exhaust. He said he has a some sort of intake (could pick up what he said).. Rolled our windows back up and he started revving. Nice sounding exhaust. Wifey started looking at me and asked what I was doing. I said, this kid wants to play and besides traffic was very light..

Light turned green, we both floored, i hit 6000K and quickly shifted to 2nd and foot was on the floor the whole time. To my surprise, he started gaining about a half-car lenght.. WTH! I was thinking maybe he just toyed with me back at the first light or he's got something else under there.

Anyway, on 3rd, I started gaining back and were were pretty much dead even until we hit way over what the law requires and I slowed down right away. We got to the third light and I was ready to make a turn and he said somehting I coulnd't hear very well but it sounded like fast huh! or your car is fast! but either way, it was a fun play at a controlled pace.

I would have gained a lot more had we kept going in an open road.. But i'm sure it was the weight factor that slowed me down.. Fun night oeverall..
Old 03-18-2005, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with your car?

I've put the hurt on stock RSX Type S's on many occasions. However, they are quite tuneable for NA cars. A buddy of mine back in WI has a white one with nothing but an intake and a Hondata plug and play standalone with some quality tuning. His car OWNZ mine. Runs high 13's AFAIK but its got awesome topend combined with the light weight.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Xel

"honey.... do I look fat in these pants?"
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Xel

Default wow and you are the one who keeps saying that you are a slow driver

I guess if you were launching a bit harder you could've pulled a bit better. You had extra 80HP and he was only 2800 lbs+him while you had close to 4K lbs. He could also have shorter first/second gears or something. Those cars are scary to be in after 100mph.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: wow and you are the one who keeps saying that you are a slow driver

i had a good launch though. The sudden surge of the MTM chip that some people are talking about worked out well in that situation coz when I floored on 1st, it just surged and gained a bout a car length but when in 2nd, maybe the lag helped him recover coz he started comeing back. They are pretty quick and a RS2 would have been the solution but not this time.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What RPM are you shifting at? With the MTM/K24 you should be

shifting at 5500-6000 rpm max. Not much point on winding it out to 7000. Max torque is made between 3000-5000.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The launch is what kills our cars.

Even with quattro, they're just too damn heavy. I'll bet a 30 to 100 pull you would have wasted him.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly. This is how I beat a Camaro SS - from a rolling start.

From a standstill, he would have probably owned me, but taking the launch out of the equation makes all the difference.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep...

There's not much that's commonly on the road that can take our cars from 30-100 or above. I always argue to everyone that these cars are not quarter mile machines. If I wanted to spend money on something that could lay down a good timeslip, I'd go buy a mid 80's Mustang GT and dump 6K in a crate motor for it. But what fun would that be?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i shifted right around there.

Quick Reply: S4 vs. RSX Type S