Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Short Shift Package Update, testing yielding more good results and important interference ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shift Package Update, testing yielding more good results and important interference ...

With our version 2 short shift package out for testing we have received more feedback on the 15% throw reduction and were looking for feedback on the 23% reduction setting. Our tester immeadiately found an interference with a guide/stop in the 23% throw reduction setting. From the testers information the guide can easy be ground down at the interference point. The tester also reported that at the 15% reduction setting the shifter is crisp, cleaner and most definitely reduced. He found his older shifter assembly to grossly worn and the mounting point up top to be ovalized and quite sloppy. The fully rebuilt shifter unit he received put a quick end to that.

Now the interference brings up an important point for anyone considering other short shift kits. There is no possible way to get a 30% throw reduction by replacing or modifying the shifter assembly up top. Any claim of a 30% reduction is without actual measurement or hard data to prove it. At an actual measured 23% reduction there is interference with this guide/stop, so there is no other way besides cutting the stock shift rod to yield anything more than ~18% throw reduction and that involves modifying the shifter arm down to the transmission which the other kit does not do, which will reduce the effective throw reduction even more so!

So we are now considering also including the guide/stop premodified with our short shift package to ensure you all get the throw reduction we advertise without any need for you to modify anything in your S4/6. I'd prefer that our package be bolt in and go, no drilling or grinding which you may find you need with the other kit.

Please stay tuned as we will be testing more units shortly and will be releasing the short shift package soon!

Cheers,
Old 03-02-2005, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i think i'll be happy with 15% reduction.

i just want to get that crisp, tight and smooth shifting feel again.

staying tuned.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

Default I have driven S4/6's with our developmental package in at 15% and it is quite nice already...

though I want to make sure everyone gets a choice and we can satsify all of your needs. This is an easy part for us to add to our package as we will be accepting cores back, just toss in one extra part that gives you that option to run a shorter throw.

Now the big issue I see is that others are claiming a 30% reduction and this actual testing with actual measurement of the throw reduction shows it is impossible to go 30%, even 20% for that matter without modification. This same issue applies to all the 200, 4000, CGT, Urq and other cars that can use the same kit, except they actually have body material that interferes, seen this on 200's and 4000's already.

Cheers,
Old 03-02-2005, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dude: Richard Hoffmann (billzcat) is in your 'hood. Talk to him too.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default alex make sure to have a lawyer write a disclaimer to cover your ***!

in todays world someone will try and sue you if it makes a funny noise.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Combine the two (Apikol & the Europrice or Billzacat) and you will get a shorter throw...

Since both address Short Shifting from a different perspective if you have the $ and the desire... then by combining both solutions you should achieve a shorter throw... same goes for combining the Apikol with Billzcat solution...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd pay good money to duplicate the shifter feel of a Honda S2000.

Ever sit in one of those? Voted "Gearbox Of The Year" a while back.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 AM

Default I too would be happy with 15%, any chance that will be available any sooner?

I'm mainly after the rebuilt unit, not the reduced throw (although 15% sounds nice).

appreciate all the effort you're putting into this!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I own a S4/6's with Euro-Price developmental package in at 15% , testers opinion

Hi:

I installed the Euro-price Beta test unit in my 1993 S4. My son helped me on one warm Saturday.
When it comes to interior trim removal, be patient and slow. As there are hidden screws and tabs to care for if you want to reassemble to OEM stock look. The Bentley was valuable for me.

The center console is two parts, rear and front with a split just behind the shifter boot.
I removed only the rear console and was able to extract the original unit.
I lifted the car. (Be careful S4/S6's are really heavy, consult your expert mechanic for instructions and jackstands)

I removed the two 13mm bolts on the shift rod and rear torque rod (Bentley terms). Access from the front under the trans.
I have a Stromung exhaust and did NOT need to remove it. Once those 13mm bolts are out, go back into the driver seat to remove the assembly.

I'll write a separate install procedure as I am most interested in writing about the results.

You will need a helper to set the position of the Euro-price shift rods on the mating transmission rods. Make sure you can reach Reverse and all 5 gears. The Bentley DOES have an adjustment procedure which I followed.

Driving Impressions= Excelllent in a word!
My original 12 year shifter was rubbery and loose. It felt really bad.

I installed the Euro-price SS kit, set to 15% reduction and no added lead weight (yet).

The shifter tightened up considerably. All the previous slop was gone. The 15% reduction made shifting positive, direct and short. Sweet.

My son and I both enjoyed the drive as the 5 speed felt tight, just like the suspension!

Could it be more exciting at 23%? Maybe.

I am the tester who discovered the interfering bracket Alex wrote about, and THAT is easily handled. After a week I may have Alex modify the bracket that limited the shift rod setting at 23%. He has a solution already! to get both settings.

Weight: I plan to experiment with weighting by adding lead shot to the top rod, This can be accomplished from the cockpit because a small hole is visible near the attachment point.

If weight is an improvement and not a hinderance, I'll have to remove the top rod again and melt the lead shot in place. TBD

All in all, I think the Euro Price SS unit is a great value for 95 bucks. It installs easily and will not require the user to grind, bend or flail in any way.
End to end, this shade tree mechanic installer did it in 3 hours.
Jeff Posto