Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

should i buy? [urs6]

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy? [urs6]

There's guy in my town who has a urs6 avant (1999.5, i believe?). It has the center diff button, 2.2l 5cyl, and it's a 5 speed, it has a 103,800 miles on it. He loves the car, keeps it well maintained through audi; he doesn't work on it himself. It's black with tan interior, an avant, and he said, 'somewhere between 9 and 10'. The car is all stock except he got it chipped last month. He's selling it to buy a bi-turbo s4.

I really don't know anything about old audis, i have a '92 gti, but i always wanted a wagon and this one is really nice.

So, i'm just wondering if the price is right, what things i should look for, any problems i should expect, etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oh, no. Pass. Where is this again? <more>

Sounds like a good deal, especially at $9K.

Avants are generally more spendy than sedans because they (the avants) are relatively rare.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

It's a 95.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's a Bo Derek 9 or 10 - not $$$
Old 07-19-2006, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are used to 90's VW's then an Audi S car will feel right at home...

but better. These cars are pretty reliable. The common failures are well documented in this forum and at S-cars.org. They have a good buyers guide too. As with any older car you are WAY better off if you do your own wrenching. Repair costs can add up quickly if you rely on a shop to fix everything for you. Buy a Bentley manual, search the archives and ask lots of questions and you should be able to DIY for just about all common repairs on these cars.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your '92 GTI is a 16v, the engine will be pretty familiar

the AAN 5-cyl is similar in architecture to the VW 16v, except it has one extra cylinder, a forged crank, and factory turbo.
They're pretty reliable, but you should plan to do a most of your own wrenching unless you're independently wealthy. And if you do need to take it to a shop, often times you're better off with an independent since many dealer techs are not familiar with the older cars.
The car you are looking at is a 1995, since it has the lock button for the rear diff. The 1995.5 model is the slightly updated version, with a few differences (most importantly a stronger transmission and no more manual differential lock). At 9-10k it's a very good deal, especially considering the low mileage. Several nice avants have sold over the past few months for ~14k
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Avant's sell quickly with those stats and if properly maintained.

Your friend could post that here and sell it no problem. Many guys are seeking similar Avants.
If you can afford it, I would recommend you buy it!
Posto
Old 07-20-2006, 04:42 AM

Default [update]

well he bought the s4 last night, and i went over and he told me 'i've been thinking about the car [the s6] all day and i think we can come to some sort of agreement' That sounded to me like he was okay lowering the price.

Now these are the things he told me was wrong with it, the hatch has a squeak (i already knew that), the dipstick handle has broken off (i figure a 5$ fix for a new dipstick?), and the driver side climate control is 'sticky', it is stuck on 'low', i can turn the a/c on and off with the passenger side and adjust the fan speed. I didn't really fiddle with it that much, but he said you can make it work, you just have to keep trying. He said he'd see if audi could fix it and if they couldn't he would adjust the price acordingly.

He took it to audi last monday and they installed a new steering rack. I haven't spoken to him today yet, but once i get off work i think i'll head over and see if we can find a price.

I test drove it last night, it drove really nicely, it was very easy and light. The only thing i was disappointed with was the brakes. They're g60 brakes right? 11" fronts 9.4" rears?

Who makes suspension and exhaust for the avant? Where can i find the factory numbers, weight, skidpad, 0-60, 1/4", etc?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stats for all Audi cars can be found at the top of the page: Resources --> Model Guide

Link for the Lazy<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/model/">https://www.audiworld.com/model/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-20-2006, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FYI, known issues list

Found this list helpful when I just purchased my car:<ul><li><a href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/wadleigh/S4S6_Known_Issues_List.htm">http://www3.sympatico.ca/wadleigh/S4S6_Known_Issues_List.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: should i buy? [urs6]